Poisoned (or dead) canaries are invisible in birdcages

SonicDen220
  • Fixed

Poisoned them as normal while I was on the surface. When I came back to them in the caves, they were invisible in birdcages (was still getting a poisoned canary like normal).

image.png.1caa3e815df85f466177e5c0bb3b3b21.png

I couldn't reproduce the poisoning in a creative world with LongUpdate or c_skip. However, by trying that I found out that dead birds are also invisible (don't know if it's any birds or just canaries and don't know if it's like that only in caves or on surface too)

Steps to Reproduce

1. Poison a canary in the caves.

2. It's gonna be invisible.

Or

1. Wait for a bird to starve in a birdcage.

2. It's gonna be invisible.

• Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.

For the devs, something about the birdcage broke when the mutant birds were added in Eye of The Storm, since it's been an issue since that update (I think after mutant birds were allowed to be added to birdcages?).

Edited by lakhnish
  • Like 1

Share this comment

Thanks to grumm9690 from kleicord, we saw that the moonstorm birds are missing a lot of animations to them while every other bird has them, which might be why this issue is occurring?

The moonstorm birds are missing:

• cough1
  • cough2
  • fall_sick
  • hit_skeleton
  • idle_sick
  • idle_sick2
  • idle_sick3
  • idle_skeleton

Spoiler

I also see that in the prefabs table, it's missing bird_mutant and bird_mutant_spitter. Again, I don't know if that plays a role.

local prefabs =
{
    "bird_egg",
    "crow",
    "robin",
    "robin_winter",
    "canary",
    "guano",
    "rottenegg",
}

Edited by lakhnish
spoiler
  • Like 1

Share this comment

On 5/7/2022 at 6:23 PM, lakhnish said:

Thanks to grumm9690 from kleicord, we saw that the moonstorm birds are missing a lot of animations to them while every other bird has them, which might be why this issue is occurring?

The moonstorm birds are missing:

• cough1
  • cough2
  • fall_sick
  • hit_skeleton
  • idle_sick
  • idle_sick2
  • idle_sick3
  • idle_skeleton

Reveal hidden contents

I also see that in the prefabs table, it's missing bird_mutant and bird_mutant_spitter. Again, I don't know if that plays a role.

local prefabs =
{
    "bird_egg",
    "crow",
    "robin",
    "robin_winter",
    "canary",
    "guano",
    "rottenegg",
}

The Moonstorm birds are not related to the issue at hand at all.

Well, you're right it did happen in the Eye of the Storm update, but it was a result of some clean up with the birdcage rather then the moonstorm birds themselves affecting things (All the birds share the same animations by the way, since theyre part of the birdcage, it's not two seperate entities layered over each other)

Essentially what's happening is what the birdcage does is it takes the entity thats in it(the bird in this case) and adds its build to itself, this build would just get overridden by the next bird that gets plopped in and they decided to clean it up by removing the last build that was added when that bird is removed.

However this causes issues for the canary since when it gets poisoned, it becomes a whole new entity and then gives the birdcage the "canary_poisoned_build" build(which doesn't exist), while the bird cage needs the "canary_build" build for it to visually appear.

image.thumb.png.a976a6ae85ea1ffb4ae41bd6f5cba9b8.png

TL:DR, Bird Cage needs "canary_build" override build, not "canary_poisoned_build"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this comment

36 minutes ago, Hornete said:

TL:DR, Bird Cage needs "canary_build" override build, not "canary_poisoned_build"

Why do all the birds go invisible when the die or are skeletons? Is it the same reason?

Share this comment

1 minute ago, lakhnish said:

Why do all the birds go invisible when the die or are skeletons? Is it the same reason?

Yes, now they're trying to add the "smallmeat_build" to the Bird Cage upon death, which of course doesn't exist, haha.

• Haha 2

Share this comment