Goat Bug (Rereported) - Two Goat Herds Can Merge Into One if Herd Merging Conditions are True

lakhnish
  • Fixed

The spoilers contains my previous reports (Celestial Update, Halloween Update, & Winter's Feast)

The is how the bug works (this also affects the Console Versions).

First off, you need a world that's given you two volt goat herds, whether it be a 1000+ day world, or a Day 1 world.  

Then both goat herds need to be close together (within 20 wall units, or 5 turf tiles).

From there, if at any point in time when both goat herds are close together and either or even both herds are low in population (like 1-2 goats in said herds) then your two goat herds decide to merge together, meaning that your world that had two goat herds now becomes a world with only one goat herd not because one herd died, but because they merged.

Proof (Console output states total herd population):

Spoiler

Likely Cause:

Our suspicions is that it was introduced in Game Update 280490 in early August. The specific fix that was made was "Fixed bug preventing herds from merging properly." No herds would merge before because of a typo in herd.lua (simplified way of saying it). That was fixed, but then ALL herds could merge, including volt goats, which can't make new herds. I believes the functions MergeNearbyHerds() & Herd:OnUpdate() are where you want to look.

Thanks!

Steps to Reproduce
Have two goat herds that are low in population be close to each other. See with c_countprefabs("lightninggoatherd") or ThePlayer.talker.components:Say(tostring(c_countprefabs("lightninggoatherd"))) that the total goat herd # was reduced from two-to-one (type it out, copy-paste causes issues I find).
  • Thanks 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.