game doesn't launch, directx issue?

Malk
  • Known Issue

So i've own dst since beta and i recenly changed pc. after redownloading it i quit during the first time setup as i had no internet. Now whenever i launch it it gives me the preparing to launch windows for 1 second, then closes. The dst process doesn't even get launched. My steam boarder(the one near the icon) changes green for a couple of seconds before going back to blue. Trying to launch the .exe gives me a bad image error and this window. I dont think any log is generated as the game/process doesn't even launch

note, this also happens on the regular dont starve

ive reinstalled dst about 2 times and it still happens

any help is welcomed

evedence.png

Steps to Reproduce
download a fresh copy of dst quit on first time setup profit?

User Feedback

@Malk have you tried reinstalling the vcredist_x86.exe (in Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\VCRedist) and DXSETUP.exe (in Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\DXRedist)?

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Zillvr said:

@Malk have you tried reinstalling the vcredist_x86.exe (in Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\VCRedist) and DXSETUP.exe (in Steam\SteamApps\common\Don't Starve Together Beta\DXRedist)?

Ive ran the dxsetup in the folder, still doens't launch. Mind telling me how to redownload both of these things, or point me to an article? Thanks!

Share this comment

38 minutes ago, Zillvr said:

@Malk Just run the installers, and rerun the vcredist.exe in the folder I mentioned.

Ok so the first link didnt work. second link did work and i replaced the old dxr

vcredist is being wierd however...

it refuses to work and gives this error, even after a fresh restart

It seems to hang when vadilading a file. Pressing yes only causes it to pop up again, pressing no cancels the installation

2008.png

Share this comment

@Malk after running the DirectX End-User Runtime Web Installer, did you check whether the game still crashes or not? With that screenshot, it seems another installation is still on-going. So let the other installation finish first, then try again but first check if the game works or not.

Share this comment

@ZillvrI dont know if u noticed. But I have no other installer running. But yet it says one is? its being wierd

Game still doesn't launch at all.

EDIT: this is what is under the "another launcher in progress" error. The installer seems to hang here

15.png

Edited by Malk
missed information

Share this comment

After rebooting into safe mode and out, i was able to run vcredist and get it to install. The vrcedist is x86 and im using x64. Either way it didn't seem to fix it either.

Steam does acknolage the fact im launching a game, as looking in task manager the program cpu spikes from 0.1 to 3.1 for about 1-2 seconds then slowly climbs down from it.

This isan't just with dont starve, so many its a problem on my end? idk this is really wierd:?

Share this comment

@Malk the screenshot you shared here, was cropped so all I can see was what you showed me and there was a possibility that another installation was going on behind it. Anyway since you were already able to let it reinstall, my next question is, you are running this on Windows 10 correct? Can you double check if there are any lingering Windows Updates that didn't get installed.

Here's a Windows Article that may help fix your issue.

Share this comment

Ok so turns out i never activated my windows 10. Silly me. And turns out i have enterprise instead of home. So excuse me while i go and change it

Share this comment

alright! After installing and activitng I waited untill first time setup is done and it works! Thank you soo much zillvr and sorry for the necro klei

you can lock this now

Share this comment