Disconnect on character pick/swap on dedicated server

Pig Princess
  • Fixed

On dedicated server when one picks character - regardless of whether it is for the first time or after using idol for character swapping - player spawns at location without portal nearby (doesn't seem like random location though), and immediately after that master shard shuts down (no crash text, just disconnect + server closes; cave shard doesn't shut down and tries to connect to master in endless loop). This only happens when picked character has starting items, and it doesn't matter whether they have skins or even are character specific. In particular, after picking Wilson and Wolfgang everything was ok, but in case Wendy, Maxwell, Willow, Wickerbottom described issue occured. Hosted server works ok for all characters, whether they are picked for the first time or not, it seems like dedicated server problem specifically.

Steps to Reproduce

1. Connect to dedicated server for the first time or use moon rock idol on the portal on dedicated server.

2. Pick character with any starting item. 

• Like 1

User Feedback

A developer has marked this issue as fixed. This means that the issue has been addressed in the current development build and will likely be in the next update.
I also found this bug. After the [Game Hotfix] - 474838 & 474860 update, there seems to be a problem with character selection

Share this comment

Testing on version 474860, I haven't been able to reproduce this on client hosted with caves, without caves, or on dedicated servers either. Can you send me the cluster folder zipped up in a PM? Or just the server_log.txt from the master folder, hopefully there's some clue in there.

Specifically we're creating a Celestial Portal and then despawning by giving it a Moon Rock Idol. I assume this is what you're doing to cause the crash?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

it probably has to do with the mods in the server, I went through the same problem but it just happens if you have mods active, the number doesnt seem to be important since it happened with one mod active and it happened with 10 mods active, it seems like some servers become incompatible with mods.

Share this comment

Yeah if you could try without mods that would be helpful, or let me know which mods are on the server.

Also, could you let me know what combination the architecture and platform the client and server are running? 32bit windows, 64bit windows, 32bit linux, 64bit linux? I had a suspicion that it might be related to a 32bit/64bit mismatch between the client and server, but still haven't been able to reproduce the crash.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

yep it seems the problem is mods, I tried again to create a server but now without mods, and the character pick went smoothly, after I chose a character I went back and added the mods, and it went well. however as soon as I tried to switch with a toten or a friend tried joining in. the server crashed both times. I might try to experiment with individual mods to make sure its a general problem or specific.

about the platform its windows 64bits

Edited by WebberDad

Share this comment

Ahh good to know. That helps us narrow it down. Please let me know if you find out which mod is causing problems for you and I'll see if it's a specific mod issue, or something we can work to make the new changes more resilient to mods.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Ok I think I figured it out, the one mod that is causing it is the Season Starting items, I tried with every mod I usually put in my servers, individually and this was the one that caused the crash when added by itself, I even tried adding all of them together and excluding that one specifically and it went well.

Mod's link:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=519266302

if it doesnt help with you, try messing with the setting pressets, I dont use default so it might be affecting in combination with the mod, maybe the game's config starting items with the starting items mod.

Edited by WebberDad

Share this comment

@PeterA

hello my mod is failing to work to i took a part of it showing even such a simple mod is not working anymore i cant load into the world at all when i pick any of my mod characters ever since the new patch. I keep getting this crash on world with no caves i didnt test on world with caves

(I'm playing on 64bit windows 7 if that matters)

crash.thumb.jpg.600c2b73717394f53e91f445da6bc3c3.jpg

here's the mod if you wanna see for yourself the crash and hopefully fix it

Steve.zip

The post by ironhunter here says what could be causing this crash

@PeterA i followed the idea of ironhunter and added a 

TUNING.GAMEMODE_STARTING_ITEMS.DEFAULT.character = {}

for my characters and it stopped this crash, so that's the cause of the crash it seems.. though I think it would be nice if character modders aren't forced to have to add this value to their characters to make it not crash also a lot of old characters mod which don't have this value and aren't updated will now all be broken since they won't have this value either so it'd be cool if it can be fixed :)

Edited by . . .
  • Like 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment