Dedicated folder failed to start with caves enabled

net173h
  • Pending

Hi, my friend, out of nowhere, was unable to host servers with caves enabled (works fine without caves).
I attached server_log.txt from inside the Cluster folder and for him, the server_log.txt files inside his Master folder are from april, and there's no server_log.txt inside Caves of that folder.

server_log.txt
PS. disabling mods didn't help, and we tried verifying.

Steps to Reproduce

Hosted with caves

User Feedback

Sorry, I am confused as to where the attached server_log.txt is from since you said the Master logs are from April and Caves has no log files. The attached log is from a Caves server from 3 days ago. This log also indicates a number of mods are running, but more importantly, the server cannot find the cluster_token.txt file. If this is an accurate log, then please make sure your friend's cluster_token.txt is located in the server's root folder.

• Like 1

Share this comment

51 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Sorry, I am confused as to where the attached server_log.txt is from since you said the Master logs are from April and Caves has no log files. The attached log is from a Caves server from 3 days ago. This log also indicates a number of mods are running, but more importantly, the server cannot find the cluster_token.txt file. If this is an accurate log, then please make sure your friend's cluster_token.txt is located in the server's root folder.

Thanks for the response, we tried token generating and even with that it didn't work. So he deleted every Cluster_ folder he has and generated a new world with caves, of course it failed, but this time it had server_log.txt

server_log_master.txt server_log_cave.txt

Share this comment

To be clear, is your friend hosting a dedicated server or launching a world through the in-game host world screen?

Share this comment

22 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

To be clear, is your friend hosting a dedicated server or launching a world through the in-game host world screen?

Both, hosting new world or launching an existing one (with caves) doesn't work, but without caves it works even with mods.

Share this comment

By a "dedicated server" I mean lunching the server through the command line. Is this something they are doing?

Share this comment

Just now, ScottHansen said:

By a "dedicated server" I mean lunching the server through the command line. Is this something they are doing?

No, they're using the in-game hosting normally.

Share this comment

Thanks,

Can you please have your friend, with DST closed, delete the Cluster folder through windows explorer.
If they have any worlds they want to save, they should first backup the save folder, just in case.
Now try to create an world with caves enabled and no client or server mods.

If the this still does not work, please post the new server logs for Master and Caves.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

1 minute ago, ScottHansen said:

Thanks,

Can you please have your friend, with DST closed, delete the Cluster folder through windows explorer.
If they have any worlds they want to save, they should first backup the save folder, just in case.
Now try to create an world with caves enabled and no client or server mods.

If the this still does not work, please post the new server logs for Master and Caves.

The last two files I attached were in fact the log files right after he did exactly what you described. Deleted every Cluster_ file and then hosted a new world, failed to start and then I attached the files that he got (which he didn't have before for some reason)

Share this comment

The master log you attached has a number of mods enabled and is loading a world, not generating a new one.

Could you please have your friend follow the the exact steps in my previous post and then post the new logs.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

On 6/8/2021 at 6:17 PM, ScottHansen said:

The master log you attached has a number of mods enabled and is loading a world, not generating a new one.

Could you please have your friend follow the the exact steps in my previous post and then post the new logs.

It didn't work for him, so I tried it myself and it created another problem. I tried running dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe and got the same token issue as him and even after trying both token methods it still said invalid tokens. Weird thing is it didn't make a cluster_ folder where it normally would, but instead, outside of that folder, inside C:\Users\name\Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether and it only had master inside it, and here are its logs
EDIT: he couldn't run even the game as admin, despite his account being admin, and generating a token in game doesn't create a file
EDIT 2: hosting in game normally works just fine for me

server_log.txt

Edited by net173h
extra info

Share this comment

If you simply run dontstarve_dedicated_server_nullrenderer.exe, it will try to launch a default dedicated server with only a forest world (no caves). So what you saw is expected.

I have a suspicion as to what might be going on but I will need logs from your friend to verify. Please have your friend create a new world with caves enabled and no mods. Then get the Master and Caves server log files and as their client_log.txt. I will need all 3 logs to verify if my suspicion is correct or not.

Thanks.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Right now I'm feeling about 95% sure this is a file permission issue. Please make sure you have read and write permissions to all the files and folders within \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

• Thanks 1
  • Big Ups 1

Share this comment

3 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

Right now I'm feeling about 95% sure this is a file permission issue. Please make sure you have read and write permissions to all the files and folders within \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether

He's offline atm, but last time we tried stuff out he said that his account is a "local admin account" and I checked his permissions a few times, both said administrator (despite not being able to run the game as admin, the run as admin option isn't there)
edit: generating with caves didn't work for me, i deleted token file and made another and then it worked, but for him nothing is created

Edited by net173h
update

Share this comment

18 hours ago, ScottHansen said:

he was unable to find any client_log.txt file, so here are just cave and master server logs
also, he does have permissions to write and read, however when he right clicked DoNotStarveTogether folder to check, read only had a square check on it, it is like that for me and it worked but I thought I should mention it

server_log_cave.txt server_log_master.txt

Share this comment

Thank you for the clean (mod-free) server logs. Unfortunately I do need the client_log.txt to verify my theory. It is located in the \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether folder.

The latest hotfix (467172) has some more logging information in it that will help determine the cause. Could you please have your friend go through this process one more time? And be sure to get the client log as well.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

19 minutes ago, ScottHansen said:

Thank you for the clean (mod-free) server logs. Unfortunately I do need the client_log.txt to verify my theory. It is located in the \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether folder.

The latest hotfix (467172) has some more logging information in it that will help determine the cause. Could you please have your friend go through this process one more time? And be sure to get the client log as well.

He updated the game, while he didn't get a client_log inside the folder with numbers, he got a client log outside the numbers folder (from when he ran the dedicated server exe as admin), so here it is

client_log.txt

Share this comment