Crashing on Launch

Awesome-X
  • Closed

The game stops responding immediately after I launch it, while it's still displaying nothing but a black screen. I'm actually getting the same behavior from Don't Starve single-player, and both games were running fine last week.

I've tried uninstalling all my mods, updating my drivers, and reinstalling both the game and Steam but I'm still crashing every time I launch it.

Steps to Reproduce
Every time I launch the game

User Feedback

@Awesome-X

DST will appear to be unresponsive at times during the boot. Please wait instead of closing the game. 
Depending on your hard drive, it may take a while. (The next update will help to address this)

Share this comment

@ScottHansen

Thanks for the response!

But I'm afraid I tried waiting, and it never recovers. The Windows error isn't even about the program not responding, it just says "dontstarve_steam.exe has stopped working" and gives me the prompt to close it with no other options. I just tried installing it on my SSD to see if it was my HD acting up, but I'm getting the same error. Is there anything else I can try?

Edited by Awesome-X
Added @

Share this comment

This may not help, but back when I first purchased DST in early 2015 (or 14, I don't remember quite well) I was playing on a Windows Vista and I experienced a problem where it would be unresponsive indefinitely on bootup. Black screen, then white screen, then Don't Starve Together is Not Responding. I rebooted the computer, I tried everything. But the answer was right under my nose. For some reason, when I logged out of steam and logged back in, it worked fine. Strange, but maybe it will also work for you.

Share this comment

1 hour ago, Awesome-X said:

Thanks for the response!

But I'm afraid I tried waiting, and it never recovers. The Windows error isn't even about the program not responding, it just says "dontstarve_steam.exe has stopped working" and gives me the prompt to close it with no other options. I just tried installing it on my SSD to see if it was my HD acting up, but I'm getting the same error. Is there anything else I can try?

Hmm... If the issue is happening on your SSD then my original guess is probably not the case.

Could you try the following?
- ensure DST is not running
- in Steam: right-click DST, select properties and click the "Set Launch Options" button. In the popup window, make sure the text box is empty
- rename \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether to \Documents\Klei\DoNotStarveTogether_backup
- start DST and let it run for about 2 minutes
- attach the new client_log.txt file

Also let me know if you are still using the SSD drive for DST.

Thanks.

Share this comment

Do you have any launch options set in steam?
To double check, right click DST in steam -> properties -> "Set Launch Options..."

Share this comment

I've attached 2 files, they have some extra debugging information in them that should let me see how far you are getting in the boot flow.

Could you please go into the games install files and replace the original ones with the attached ones. They are located in:
\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\data\databundles\scripts.zip\scripts

Then attach your new log file.
Thanks!

gamelogic.lua

mainfunctions.lua

Share this comment

Pretty sure I was up to date yesterday when I generated that last client_log, but it looks like they released a new one today. Unfortunately, I'm still crashing after updating, but here's a new log just in case it helps. Currently running GeForce driver version 388.71

client_log.txt

Share this comment

can you look for a *.mdmp file located in steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\bin
Grab the newest one and attach it to the bug report.
Thanks

Share this comment

If by any chance you leave your computer on all the time, could you please reboot it.

Then I have two other things I'd like you to try:
1) enable threaded rendering:
- right click DST in steam -> properties -> "Set Launch Options..."
- add the following to the text box: -threaded_render
Try to run DST

2) try using the newly attached file

gamelogic.lua

Share this comment

No luck, sadly. Did a reboot, tried "-threaded_render", then the new gamelogic.lua, and then both, but I'm still crashing. Here's the latest client_log, from the "both" attempt.

client_log.txt

Share this comment

DST did not have any updates between disabling the forge and the day you logged this bug. So I'm guessing its something on your computer. 
Perhaps you have some video software that is conflicting with DS/DST?

The crash is in the rendering which is why I'm suspecting video software.

Share this comment

Ah ha! It appears to work if I close RivaTuner Statistics Server before launching, I can't believe it took me this long to try that. Looks like they put out an update recently, that must have been the culprit.

Thank you so much for sticking with me through all this, I really appreciate all the help you've given me (especially since it seems to be something unrelated that was causing the issue).

Share this comment

No Worries. And thank you for working through it.

It helps a lot to find the source of things like this so if someone else has the same problem we know the answer.

Please validate your game files if you have not already (it will revert the script changes I had you make)

Share this comment