Controller - Temporarily can't switch Input devices

kantngn
  • Pending

Hi, I've play for a bit over 500 hrs, and i got this very menacing bug. 

So I use a PS4  controller for the convenient, but some task require a mouse for a better placement / stuffs. I have encountered 2 problem so far: 

1. PS4 controller, connecting to Mac via bluetooth, will be recognized as Xbox 360 in DST, cable is fine. 

2. Usually when I switch to mouse/keyboard, I can not switch back, the arrow is there, but can't switch, feels like it change, and switch right back in 1ms. Have to turn off, restart game or restart steam... not really game breaking to me, but very inconvenient. After a while i found out, if i wait like 15', 30' , or sometime, it will be able to switch again.... 

Is this a known bug? Is anyone having the same problem? I only hv chrome and steam running. 

Steps to Reproduce
Use PS4 controller. Switch between input devices. Try differnt kind of connection, from wired to bluetooth.

User Feedback

Additional info: I just downloaded the lastest update, and now I cant switch input device to controller at all, however I try... 

Share this comment

Same problem here. Started happening out of the blue (only noticed today, haven't played for a couple of days), using an XBox Elite controller. The game does not allow the switch to the controller and it does not take any of the imputs, although Steam recognised it and it's properly working in Steam and other games. I assume this has to do with a recent update to DST.

Share this comment

I will be looking into this.

@Unguro is your xbox controller wireless?

I just tried a PS4 controller wireless and it works as intended for me, and I tested with a wired X360 and XB1 controller and they worked as intended so we'll have to do some troubleshooting. I am not sure if you can use Xbox controller wireless on Mac?

First off, I am assuming both of you are on OSX. 

Warning: doing the following will delete your skin presets if you had any, and your settings will be reset.

You won't lose skins or save games, but to be safe I would always suggest making a backup of your save directory

(~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether) before modifying it.

Could I ask you to - with the game not running:

• go into your save folder (~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether) and remove the file 'client.ini' 
  • go into your save folder (~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether) and in the subfolder 'client_save' remove the file 'profile'
  • Right click DST in your steam library, select 'Properties', and in the 'General' tab set "Steam Input Per-Game setting" to "Force off"

Let me know if that changes anything, if not, I'm going to have to investigate more.

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

Hi, yes im using OSX, Mojave 10.14.3, not catalina. 

I tried deleting [client.ini] & [profile], when first started, the game prompts to ask if I want to enable controller, with xbox button legend on the bottom line, instead of ps4, but no key from controller is registered. 

I went to option, see input being "Xbox Controller", but my PS4 controller key doesn't get registered. If switch to keyboard/mouse, it can not go back. 

Share this comment

@bizziboi I'm using it only in a "wired" setup (haven't even tried wireless... I did even know that wireless is an option for OSX, considering that even getting it recognised in a "wired" setup required 3rd-party drivers... cause well, yeah, OSX...).

Other than that: Yes, I'm also using OSX. I tried it on two different versions actually (two different Macbook Airs), the one I'm currently on is running OSX Catalina 10.15 and the other one is running the latest Mojave version (I believe, 10.14.6... I don't have it at hand right now). Both were working fine days ago, my wife and I have been playing DS and DST on these notebooks for over a year with the exact same controllers and setup.

As an additional note: I have the latest 360Controller driver installed on my setup (the Catalina one) https://github.com/360Controller/360Controller/releases (a year ago, Steam alone would not recognise the controller so I had to use this 3rd-party driver in order to get it working - perhaps that's no longer needed now, but I have not tried using the controller without it); I installed the latest Alpha release yesterday just to see whether that makes a difference or not... it did not. My wife's notebook has the latest stable version installed (0.16.11). Steam in Big Picture mode recognises the controller for both of us and we can navigate the Steam menus just fine with it, but in DST (I have not tried DS actually, but I can take a look there too) doesn't seem to want to process the inputs.

One additional hint that might be of help: although the controller inputs are totally ignored in DST, when the game loads, it does seem to recognise that a controller is connected. The reason I'm saying that is because the navigation hints (if that's what you would even call them) on the main screen and menus are controller specific (these the little icons that show up telling you to press A to select the given option or Y, etc.). So somehow, on init, the game was able to determine that there's a controller connected, but that's as far as it goes... it then fails to actually read the controller inputs and in the game's Options, Keyboard/Mouse is the only input device type that is allowed for selection (the "right arrow" is enabled so I could in theory select another input device type, but pressing on it does nothing... at most, the screen seems to flicker for a second but Keyboard/Mouse is always the only selectable option).

I'll delete the client.ini and the client_save as you suggested and I'll come back with some feedback.

Edited by Unguro

Share this comment

Ok, deleting the files did not fix anything.

On the bright side, I can confirm that Don't Starve works correctly with the controller on OSX Catalina (I have not tried on Mojave but I'm quite sure it works there too). That either means that the controller-specific Catalina fixes were not applied to DS but only to DST or that two different fixes were implemented for the two games, the DST team's fix being the one that is not working.

Yeah... the importance of regression and end to end testing. :D

If you have other suggestions on how to work around the problem in DST, I'll gladly give them a shot.

Share this comment

Could you attach your client_log.txt? For me PS4 controller works both wired and wireless on Mojave DST so I'm a bit stumped.

@Unguro

Could you try right clicking DST in your steam library and set the "Steam Input Per-Game Setting" to 'Forced Off" if it isn't and deleting those files again?

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

There's a new update, PS3 can somewhat control the navigation, but the function button are all wrong. 

The option menu, Input deviced is listed with Xbox 360, when hover mouse on it, it automatically change to Keyboard mouse and can not switch back.

Share this comment

Hi there,

have you managed to find out the solution for the problem? Like kantngn posted - switching from keybord/mause to controller in settings/input device is rolling back to keyboard after 1ms. I haven't played for a while but this function was working well few weeks ago. 

Regard

Share this comment

On 10/31/2019 at 4:32 PM, bizziboi said:

I will be looking into this.

@Unguro is your xbox controller wireless?

I just tried a PS4 controller wireless and it works as intended for me, and I tested with a wired X360 and XB1 controller and they worked as intended so we'll have to do some troubleshooting. I am not sure if you can use Xbox controller wireless on Mac?

First off, I am assuming both of you are on OSX. 

Warning: doing the following will delete your skin presets if you had any, and your settings will be reset.

You won't lose skins or save games, but to be safe I would always suggest making a backup of your save directory

(~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether) before modifying it.

Could I ask you to - with the game not running:

• go into your save folder (~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether) and remove the file 'client.ini' 
  • go into your save folder (~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether) and in the subfolder 'client_save' remove the file 'profile'
  • Right click DST in your steam library, select 'Properties', and in the 'General' tab set "Steam Input Per-Game setting" to "Force off"

Let me know if that changes anything, if not, I'm going to have to investigate more.

This worked perfectly for me! Thank you!!

• Thanks 1

Share this comment

I am on a early 2013 mac pro. Same issue. I have downloaded and installed the client updates each time on Steam. The controller works in steam but when I get to DST I am unable to change the input from Mouse and keyboard. I cant switch to the controller. 

I have spent 4 hours doing everything you have said too do please help. 

Share this comment

Also here cannot switch from Mouse/Keyboard. On steam the Xbox series controller works perfectly. Im using a macOS fully updated, as same as Steam and Don't starve together.

Share this comment

I tried everything provided above, but it still don't work fir me.

[00:00:01]: cGame::InitializeOnMainThread
[00:00:01]: WindowManager::Initialize
[00:00:01]: Creating window with size 1280x720 at 805240832x805240832
[00:00:01]: THREAD - started 'SDLInputManager' (123145559371776)
[00:00:01]: Num Joysticks detected: 1
[00:00:01]: Enumerated SDL joystick "Xbox Wireless Controller" ("Xbox Wireless Controller").
[00:00:01]: ...not supported, no mapping available
[00:00:01]: OSX version 10.16.0

Share this comment

I have the same problem... The game was broken early this year, then after an update around the Monkey island patch it got fixed, and then at Wicker bottom update it broke again... any ideas of when it will be fixed again??

I get this:

[00:00:00]: cGame::InitializeOnMainThread
[00:00:00]: WindowManager::Initialize
[00:00:00]: Creating window with size 1280x720 at 805240832x805240832
[00:00:00]: THREAD - started 'SDLInputManager' (13076705280)
[00:00:00]: Num Joysticks detected: 1
[00:00:00]: Enumerated SDL joystick "Xbox Wireless Controller" ("Xbox Wireless Controller").
[00:00:00]: ...not supported, no mapping available
[00:00:00]: OSX version 10.16.0
[00:00:00]: GLInfo

Share this comment