Console commands not working, neither are chat commands like /dance

Dark Vapor
  • Pending

I am using a MacBook Pro. As the title says, Console commands, and chat commands like /cry /facepalm /dance etc. are not working at all, with no mods active on my server. I have not had the issue before, and i have checked the integrity of the game files with no positive results. The problem persists on any servers that i am a host on. Is there a solution to my problem? 

Steps to Reproduce
I just start and host a new server. mods and caves have no influence on the bug - i open the console and try c_godmode(). no results, health still vulnerable, hunger still decreasing, and sanity as well. i try c_supergodmode. i try c_speedmult(any value). no effects whatsoever. i try the chat emotes. they don't work either.

User Feedback

I too am having this issue. Prior to today's update, I have been using console commands without issue. After the winter update, they aren't registering at all.

Share this comment

When you type /help, what do you see?

Can you post your client_log.txt file after the remote commands failed to work? You should find it under ~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether

Share this comment

On 12/20/2017 at 12:23 AM, PeterA said:

Can you post your client_log.txt file after the remote commands failed to work? You should find it under ~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether

I only now realized that isn't the problem. it's the fact that neither the console nor the chats detects or does anything when i press enter. my enter button works, even in game, just not for the chat or console. really weird. tried looking it up and it surely seems I'm the only one experiencing this. anything i can do? 

Share this comment

On 12/20/2017 at 12:23 AM, PeterA said:

On 12/31/2017 at 3:42 PM, Dark Vapor said:

I only now realized that isn't the problem. it's the fact that neither the console nor the chats detects or does anything when i press enter. my enter button works, even in game, just not for the chat or console. really weird. tried looking it up and it surely seems I'm the only one experiencing this. anything i can do? 

So, is there a solution to this problem? The game is unplayable for me now :( If there is, what can I do?

Share this comment

After verifying the integrity of your game files, can you try deleting these files

~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/client_save/profile
~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/client.ini

Also, make sure that you don't have any client mods enabled.

Share this comment

18 minutes ago, Dark Vapor said:

I'm sure I just deleted the exact files you specified, de-enabled all mods, launched the game, and for some reason it's still not letting me say anything in chat nor is it letting me do any commands with the console.

Before, I did that, I even tried reinstalling the game, did not help

On 11.01.2018 at 9:06 PM, PeterA said:

After verifying the integrity of your game files, can you try deleting these files

~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/client_save/profile
~/Documents/Klei/DoNotStarveTogether/client.ini

Also, make sure that you don't have any client mods enabled.

I just realized the problem. It's extremely weird but.. "profile" and "client.ini" are somehow reinstalling(?) themselves each time i launch the game.

So what can I do next?

Edited by Dark Vapor

Share this comment

9 hours ago, PeterA said:

If you have any controllers plugged in, I'd suggest unplugging them as well.

Very big thanks. My chat and console are now working, but in order for them to work I have to click on the console bar / chat bottom bar, which is kind of annoying but I’m still glad it works. Thanks again.

Share this comment