certain mods won't download

Alfronjo
  • Pending

So i was playing don't starve like usual. then out of no where the game kept on unsyncing, i didn't pay attention at first since tf2 used to always do that, but i had to always restart steam just to play it online. and when i went to play onto one of my worlds, it said almost all of my mods were gone, i still had them subscribed but it wasn't showing in game. but when it had worked, it crashed the game right when it saw it, either it was still there and when i went to my mods it kept crashing the game and i had to unsub to it, or it just wouldn't appear at all. I've tried EVERY solution, uninstalling the game, going to see if they are corrupted files, everything. I would be very thankful to see if anyone would help me with this problem.

Steps to Reproduce

And from what i recall, it started doing this once it my game was unsyncing.

• Like 6

User Feedback

I'm having this issue on my PC but on my laptop it's fine. For what it's worth, it seems to only be older mods that are affected, ones that haven't been updated in years

• Like 2

Share this comment

I have the same kind of issue , some mods started disappearing when I open a local save game. I have try to unsubscribe/subscribe , remove directory common/Don't Starve Together/mods/ and cached_mods/.  I was able to get 3 or 4 mods. But most dont show up. Notice this in logs

[00:00:32]: [Workshop] ODPUF is trying to unpack the mod into folder: /home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/322330/1337321458/928178801504371812_legacy.bin
[00:00:32]: THREAD - started 'cUnpackModThread' (139916845602560)
[00:00:32]: [Workshop] UMFD is now trying to unpack the mod
[00:00:32]: Could not open directory [../mods/workshop-1337321458] 2 (/home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/common/Don't Starve Together/data)
[00:00:32]: cWorkshopMod::UnzipMod ../mods/workshop-1337321458
[00:00:32]: [Workshop] OnDownloadPublishedUGCFile [1] 362175979
[00:00:32]: [Workshop] ODPUF noticed this is a legacy item
[00:00:32]: [Workshop] ODPUF is trying to unpack the mod into folder: /home/user/.local/share/Steam/steamapps/workshop/content/322330/362175979/609478105747897135_legacy.bin

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this comment

I also have a problem with mods, I put mods in a subscription, and when I launch the game they appear for 5 seconds and then disappear!

• Like 1

Share this comment

I am having the same problem, and it only started today for me. It's only one mod that's causing problems for me and that is "Wormhole Marks." I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game, steam, and making sure to delete my workshop folders and world folders everytime. I also tried to verify game files for the heck of it but that didn't help. It might have something to do with it being an older mod I guess.

Share this comment

Having the same issue, and I've also noticed it only occurred after I updated my steam a few hours ago. For me, it seems that only my server mods were affected, but not all of them.

• Like 1

Share this comment

2 hours ago, yaboiguzma said:

Having the same issue, and I've also noticed it only occurred after I updated my steam a few hours ago. For me, it seems that only my server mods were affected, but not all of them.

You may have given us a clue. This is possibly a steam workshop issue, not Don't Starve itself.

EDIT:
What is known:
1) Issue started somewhat near or after release of the last STEAM update.
2) Causes mods to crash or redownload multiple times.
3) Missing Mods, Broken configurations and Crashes on Mods selecton OR World Generation.
4) Issue seems to be with mods labeled as "Legacy" according to the log @Gault provided.
5) Bug was present in beta version, which means it's not related to update by Klei, rather than Steam Itself. Mods were appearing and dissapearing from the list at random frequencies much like the stable client.
6) Server with "Legacy Mods" might have situation that is included in spoiler below, and yet might load completely fine based on how much those mods affect your world.

Spoiler

UakcFQaNcqE.jpg?size=926x943&quality=96&

Edited by Master_NiX
  • Like 1
  • Health 1

Share this comment

Hi all. As a temporary solution, I can advise you to use the local "mod" folder. That is, you will need to download the mod that you have "broken" and put it in the "mod" folder in the root folder of the game. I checked, it worked for me. I had the same problem in another game and there I was able to simplify it by moving mods from the workshop folder itself, but it didn't work with DST (because mods seem to be completely broken).
P.S. I used google translator, there may be errors.

Edited by Elfrey

Share this comment

Looking at the comments on the steam mod pages on a bunch of different mods, and people are commenting that the mods aren't showing up (comments from the last 24-48hrs or so), so it looks like this is happening for a lot of people, something must have triggered it from an update or something.

Share this comment

3 hours ago, xx_Chiyo said:

Someone posted a temporary fix on steam forums, it worked for me :)

https://steamcommunity.com/app/322330/discussions/0/3542672490601171174/

EDIT: Added steps
This solution worked for me. Basically, you have to try to find what is the workshop ID for the mod. It's easier if you unsubscribe from all existing mods and subscribe one by one so you can see what folder appears.

Current mods are in C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\322330

Find the mod you need (the folders are named with the workshop ID).

Open the folder, open the legacy.bin file with a RAR program, extract, put all extracted files into a new folder named "workshop-(ID)".

Right click the folder, check "read only" and then in the next window that appears, choose "apply to all files and subfolders", click ok,

delete the legacy.bin file and the folder that it was in.

Move the "workshop-(ID)" folder to  C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods

Edited by thefourthprogenitor
added steps

Share this comment

And also, its not only a problem with server mods, its the same with client mods, but for me whenever the mods appear in game, it crashes the game.

Share this comment