The Gorge and this year's Forge have disappointed me

BigBearger

Hi guys, I am a DST avid gamer, so I collect all the DST skins, spent more than 3000 hours on DST.

I love this game, as well as limited event especially “Forge” and “Gorge”. Klei made me sad for a long time before launching the “Gorge Championship” and giving the players on the ranking list some exclusive skin rewards.

We are clearly aware that DST is a survival and adventure game, it should not be a competitive game, nor should it use mod by default in competitive mode. Because of this is no different from allowing plugins in some e-sports.

During the “Gorge” event, I also practiced for many days with two of my friends, but we also had to work, the time of each day was limited. So our tiny ranking was quickly wiped out. Then we gave up.

At that time, I noticed that the Steam workshop had some mods, they can show the requirements of the food in the upper left corner, show the recipe, and they also can automatic hoe, automatic tree cutting, and automatic salt collection to exchange keys. Although these mods can only be used as an aid at that time, they can still help us shorten the time. And, this mod is public. But I can't imagine if there are some private mods that might have more advanced functionality? For example, it can predict each round of food requirements, or even automatically collect the required ingredients and finish cooking automatically.

This is really ironic, it's like a game competition, we allow you to cheat, but we don't care how you cheat, as long as your mod is advanced enough, as long as your script is advanced enough, then you can get a better ranking to win the better prize, right?

Nevertheless, “Gorge” event added some fun to our DST lives, and later, I received a participation award, an icon and a background.

The hot topic in this year “Forge” event is using mods and scripts/macros to play games. As far as I know, before the release of "Cheating Forge" mod, many teams would use private mods or scripts to sit in the ranking list. As I said earlier, DST is not a competitive game, it should not be like this. Using this kind of mods is no different from using perspective, auto aiming, lock head blasting and other plugins in e-sports. However, Klei acquiesced in the existence of those mods. It was not until the mod of "Cheating Forge" was published, I saw some comments made by the author. I know that he is a person with a strong sense of justice and the purpose of the author is to attract klei's attention.

However, for a long time after the "Cheating Forge" published, the game environment became so bad that many novice players used the mod arbitrarily and began to complain.

Klei finally noticed this and fixed the attack mechanism of “Double Targeting” and “Hit &Run”, but the problem was not solved, because we could still use mods to participate in the game. Klei's so-called "fix" only increased the attack cool down time a little bit, which did not affect the mods to accurately attack the two targets. Even if the mod "Cheating Forge" is removed, private mods can still be played, and those who have downloaded the mod can still keep a copy for further use.

I think klei should reflection, what's going on with DST? I really like “Forge” event, but this year's “Forge” let me disappointed. Although there is no “Forge Championship” at present, I think klei may still have plans to launch the championship. Then giving exclusive icon and background again? Let our dedicated skin collectors be defeated by mods and scripts?

In terms of Forge server, there is no improvement. I know klei paid for these servers with limited time event, and we are very grateful for klei's efforts. Early opening of Forge, the Internet signal for six people in a games is almost always red (poor network signal).Thanks to klei's efforts, the situation has now been improved. But now have are many AFK game rooms, Serious occupation of server resources, so that our normal game is affected.

The server does not have the option to vote to kick player, which results in many player occupying the game rooms, not choosing the role, not preparing. Or someone who's deliberately messing around, whose taking equipment that doesn't belong to them we told him in Chinese/English: this piece of equipment isn't yours, please give it to wicker/willow/maxwell, but those player didn't care. It made our game very difficult. There are some people in the game after the beginning of hang up rub experience, why can't we kick out this player who affects the experience of our five players?

Most of klei's staff may have been transferred to “Oxygen Not Included”, “Hot Lava” or “Grift Lands”, but I know there are still many staff members working for DST. Despite the limited manpower and technology, I was moved when we saw some new contents of DST every year.

I really love this game, and I hope klei can listen to more players' opinions and make more good changes.

It's always nice to read a feedback from long-time players.

But hold on

10 hours ago, BigBearger said:

We are clearly aware that DST is a survival and adventure game, it should not be a competitive game, nor should it use mod by default in competitive mode. Because of this is no different from allowing plugins in some e-sports.

DST allows PvP- competive play +  surival. It's the devs decicion to include competition in their games. And it would sadden some pvp-players out there if they cannot create/join pvp-servers. In terms of Gorge/Forge, yesm you bring more effort if you have practice, meaning you'd practice in free time. This happens in other games too (like score ranking that allows you to gain more points the more you can participate during the day. However, can you blame a system like that in DST which rewards people more skilled than you or someone else? Also, you earned chest per level, it's forgiving you couldn't get a golden/silver portrait frame.

10 hours ago, BigBearger said:

At that time, I noticed that the Steam workshop had some mods, they can show the requirements of the food in the upper left corner, show the recipe, and they also can automatic hoe, automatic tree cutting, and automatic salt collection to exchange keys. Although these mods can only be used as an aid at that time, they can still help us shorten the time. And, this mod is public. But I can't imagine if there are some private mods that might have more advanced functionality? For example, it can predict each round of food requirements, or even automatically collect the required ingredients and finish cooking automatically.

Yes, I argued about that, too. I don't count discord to that. However, Klei didn't outright banned mods:(. I think it is a huge problem, as you said, someone could write a really powerful mod to get get a huge advantage. There's enough toxicity with the Forge 'speedruns' now. I'd protest if Klei attemp to make a contest with this state. As they stated Klei wanted to send prizes to the Gorge winners, yet the other players couldn't check the authenticity of the winner's run. 

Kicking option during the events is a double-edged blade. Trolls would abuse it, for example. Sorry that so much understanding ruined you playing experience. Try to think about some constructive critic and write this in the next feedback. Yes, I expected more balance from this year's Forge :?. Sometimes it sounds really easy because 1 problem is actually linked to an other problem. I wrote in another thread to limit the character's armor abilities. This would also solve drama that a newbie/foreigner picked the wrong armor. Then there would be not drama to remove this disliked player. Just request your personal idea, don't expect that Klei's people would quickly find a solution to your problem;)

Archived