Too Many Bats!

This is a two part suggestion about, "TOO MANY BATS!" in one post.

Part 1

I understand the game is in Beta, so I'm guessing the bats stopping their pursuit for no apparent reason is a bug. In any case, I had two waves of bats built up in one area, and a third came in and killed me. If its a feature and not a bug that the bats turn back and hover near their spawn point, I don't like it. If its a bug, I look forward to it working.

Part 2

The number of bats in a swarm is not an issue for me in terms of game balance. Them growing in size each time (like the hounds) makes sense. However, they spawn way too often. I don't know if its a bug, but I had a swarm of bats spawn and no sooner than I had just finished killing them and another swarm spawned in, the very next in-game day I believe.

Extra Part

I find the bats annoying in a bad way. They do give me plenty of pig skins and meat (and never seem to ever drop wings, which would be nice.) but they tend to just interrupt my exploring. I understand there needs to be some sort of challenge, and in Don't Starve the hounds were: Kill hounds, get teeth, make traps, hounds die to traps; for most people, which made the hounds too easy, even a joke once you knew that strat. (I survived over 200 days in DS:ROG without ever using tooth traps, I could kite the hounds into the swamps, or beefalo, or something.) I try to kite the bats into the jungle, but they don't agro other things like the hounds do, and the way they run from me instead of fighting me, and ignore other critters on the map, and then leave and go back to their spawn location without being distracted by other animals, its all just too much. - The bats as they are, are too much IMO. - As mentioned, I don't know if they're broken, of not in their final design, or what, but I really just don't like them the way things are. Maybe I'm missing an easy way to deal with them since I don't look at spoilers, and if that's the case, then ok its on me. But if not, the bats need to be looked at, because spawning, then flying to a spot, then sitting there, then when I go to kill them more spawn, so I run, then they all sit there, then I go to kill them and they spawn.. its just too much them stacking up like they do, along with their other behaviors.

Archived