Language Mod Template -- v1.1 -- SANITY UPDATE

WrathOf

Download page:

Language Mod Template -- v1.1 -- SANITY UPDATE

DEPRICATED

This template is no longer needed since the game now supports po files for translating the game's text. Refer to the thread below for more information:

[TUTORIAL] Creating a translation using the PO Format

Provides the "english.lua" version of the "french.lua" file based on the "strings.lua" organization for easier conversion from strings.lua to a dedicated language file or when starting a new translation for the game.

In order to help us all get a handle on the many custom languages and speech mods replacing the strings.lua file, I created a new english.lua template file. I formatted it to be in the same order as the strings.lua file so it will be easier for everyone to transfer their existing work over to new lua files based on it.

The strings.lua file is for the devs to manage the default internal text values and will get updated constantly. Once we can all get away from changing it and using our own lua files then the devs updates generally won't break our customizations, of the text anyways. :D

Additional explaination on purpose of this:

It is NOT a "mod" but a "template" to help the people translating the "strings.lua" file to other languages or when translating the game to a new language for the first time.

It is the english version of the "french.lua" file but changed to follow the "strings.lua" organization so you can quickly copy the text from one to the other. All it does is change the text values defined in the "strings.lua" file, just like "french.lua".

Ultimately we need to create a set of language files such as "portugese-br.lua", "portuguese-pt.lua", "spanish.lua", "italian.lua", "polish.lua", "turk-ce.lua", etc.

These will need to be downloaded to the "mods\languages" folder and players will need to change the "language.lua" file to load one of the these language files. Klei needs to be able to manage the "strings.lua" file and we need to STOP changing it.

In other words....

The developers provided us with the "french.lua" file to use for creating new language translation files....

BUT

it is in french, not english and the order of the information does not match the "strings.lua" file

SO

I made the "english.lua" file (which the developers should have provided us) to help everyone translating the game

Game Version:

Sanity Update HF2 (2013-02-14_03-22-19 Build: 72968)

Use:

Read top portion of the provided english.lua file

Please revise the top comment block in the file to reflect your language mod's information but do leave a credit to me and the version of my template you used for support purposes. Thanks!

Changelog:

v1.1 Fixed STRINGS.CHARACTER_TITLES.wilson

v1.0 Initial release for Sanity Update HF2 (2013-02-14_03-22-19)

Archived Discussion Thread:

http://forums.kleientertainment.com/showthread.php?10043-Language-and-Speech-Mod-Template-v1-1-v1-2-SANITY-UPDATE

Edited by WrathOf

Just curious. I cant find the String the game uses when you build for example a science machine for the "Build" science machine on the screen. I edited every Build type in german but it stil says build... Can't find it. ^^

I noticed this but have not had a chance to investigate why that is happening. I'll post my findings back here is a bit.EDIT:Those strings should be set by these settings:STRINGS.UI.CRAFTING.NEEDSCIENCEMACHINE = [[....]]STRINGS.UI.CRAFTING.NEEDALCHEMYENGINE = [[....]]which are near the end of the file. Let me know if your changes do not show up for some reason. Edited by WrathOf

[MENTION=10400]Marcio[/MENTION]Oh, I misunderstood....is it not this one?STRINGS.UI.CRAFTING.BUILD = [[build]]but it looks like I left a duplicate below it so make sure both are changed. or delete one of these lines. You only need one.If not, send me your file so I can look it over. thx

No, the string you posted is only for this:post-10400-13764591347073_thumb.jpgI need the string for this:post-10400-13764591347299_thumb.jpgI just can't find this "Build" string. Alltough I translated every ...BUILD string this one is nowhere to be seen. :/

Edited by Marcio

I checked the spanish translation and it has the same problem:post-10400-13764591357447_thumb.jpgI guess the string isn't in the template at all?I checked almost every translation mod that uses the template and in all it says "Build" :(

Edited by Marcio

I realised that some more strings are missing.If you play a game and hit esc, the following 3 strings are missing (ignorate Test Tools, I use it to check the spelling Ingame for some items :)):post-10400-13764591383944_thumb.jpgThose strings are partialy in the template. Alltough they're used for the options in the mainmenu. I cant find those for the ingame menu. Maybe you have a solution for it? =)

Sorry guys, somehow did not catch these posts....Um, yeah, the template only exposes what the game makes available to change so these items are not addressed yet. I have submittted a bug thread on it so they *may* be fixed by the next update on Tuesday (PST)I chose to do it this way versus overwriting the screen files and breaking other mods.

STRINGS.ACTIONS.BUILD = [[build]]should control the word you are seeing in the pics since that is the "verb" part vs the "name" part.EDIT:Ok, finally found the one when you are placing a structure and reported it to get fixed.Still not sure about the menu though. I am not seeing "Build/" when using spanish.lua so not sure what is going on.

Edited by WrathOf

I have a question.When the a winter's tale update gets released and the new version of this template is released, will I be able to merge my current translation(Which is almost complete) with the new one?And if it is possible, how will it be done?Because if I have to re-translate it all again I will rage so hard that Chuck Norris will be scared.

Um...good question but I will only offer a vague response in homage to Kevin.... :D

There are things afoot to handle this whole translation business in a po-tentially better way.

But, depending on how things pan out I will probably make a "english_winterupdate.lua" file with only the new items that you can copy and paste into your existing language files....as well as a revised "english.lua" file that continues to follow the strings.lua organization.

Just to clarify, by using this template and *not* overwriting the strings.lua file means that you will see all the new text in english but all of the existing text you translated in your language. So doing it this way, it is more or less future proof unless they change how the strings are indexed for a given item but even then it would probably be fine.

[MENTION=9585]Alvhem[/MENTION]Well if you'd find someplace warmer maybe you would feel better! :D (per your comment and location setting)Yes, you would copy/paste the new items from the "english_winterupdate.lua" file to the end of your existing file and then continue your translations.

[MENTION=9585]Alvhem[/MENTION]Well if you'd find someplace warmer maybe you would feel better! :D (per your comment and location setting)Yes, you would copy/paste the new items from the "english_winterupdate.lua" file to the end of your existing file and then continue your translations.

Good, that'll save me another few hours, without you I will get this thing done, so I made it so that the game has a chance of spawning a pig with the name "WrathOf". Thank you.

Language Mod Template -- v1.1 -- SANITY UPDATE has been updated!Just added a note that this template should no longer be necessary. [MENTION=10400]Marcio[/MENTION]The english text issues you were having should be fixed in the game now but I will do some testing to confirm. Let me know if you come across any more of these. Thanks! Edited by WrathOf