Does Igneous produce heat?

I searched for an answer, but couldn't find one. So, sorry if this has been asked before.

I've built water pipes and insulated gas pipes using igneous rock for a cooling system. After a while, I noticed the system isn't working like I hoped. Everything I build with igneous stays hot. I know igneous retains heat, but does it produce heat in itself if placed in a cold area?

And all the igneous is heating up the whole place. Anyway to get rid of it, aside from storing it in an isolated place?

No material produces heat by itself.

There are a couple of possibilities for what you are observing:

1) When you build stuff, the temperature of the material used will determine the starting temperature of the building, with a limit of 40°C.  It's possible that the igneous rock was already hot, and while insulated stuff reduces heat exchange with the area, it still exchanges heat - especially if the it's in gas (solid/gas exchange has a bonus).  Due to the insulated pipe high mass, it's possible that they are heating the tiles they are in.  Observe the temperature of the pipes, if it's falling, then they are definitely heating up the area and will eventually come down to it's temperature.

2) The liquid inside igneous insulated pipes is still exchanging some heat with the pipes themselves.  So if the liquid is hot it will heat up the pipes.  Now this exchange (liquid/solid) is slower than pipe->gas (solid/gas) exchange, but it will still increase the temperature of the pipes and the pipes will exchange that heat with the area.

To lower or stop the heat exchange:

- build the pipes from better insulating material, ceramic in this case.

- build the pipes in insulated tiles (solid/solid heat exchange is a lot slower than solid/gas)

- keep the pipes in vacuum

- Insulation space material should completely prevent any heat exchange.

EDIT: another thing worth mentioning is that igneous rock has pretty high Specific heat capacity (for a rock), so if your problem is 1), then building the insulated pipes from for example obsidian or sedimentary rock may be the better choice (0.2 specific heat vs 1.0, same thermal conductivity).  Those materials will cool down faster transferring less total heat to the surroundings.

The biggest issue with building insulation from igneous rock is that it`s usually already pretty hot. On paper it`s good as it takes time to heat up but in reality it`s usally already hot and would take a lot of time to cool down making it counter effective.

Archived