Micromanagement and Queues

I find myself constantly having to micromanage the queues, especially for the electric grill.   Example: Ingredients run out for gristle berry, so I switch to continuous mushrooms, then those ingredients run out so I switch back.  Rinse... Repeat.

How about if they treated queues more like "priority" and just have it always try to make the left-most item for which ingredients exist.  Then I could set up both continuous gristle berry AND continuous mushrooms once, and never have to go back to micromanage it.

Simple change, nice time-saver.

I think the RimWorld crafting interface is much better than the current ONI crafting interface.

For example, RimWorld lets you craft until you have a certain amount, and if you ever fall below that amount, you will automatically craft more until you reach the desired amount again.

RimWorld also lets you set several crafting jobs on the same machine and also lets you set which crafting jobs have priority.

Related thread (in which I also posted the above text):

On ‎11‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:06 PM, withers said:

I find myself constantly having to micromanage the queues, especially for the electric grill.   Example: Ingredients run out for gristle berry, so I switch to continuous mushrooms, then those ingredients run out so I switch back.  Rinse... Repeat.

How about if they treated queues more like "priority" and just have it always try to make the left-most item for which ingredients exist.  Then I could set up both continuous gristle berry AND continuous mushrooms once, and never have to go back to micromanage it.

Simple change, nice time-saver.

Was gonna reply with the following comment myself:

23 hours ago, Sasza22 said:

As for now i just build a separate grill for each type of food. It would save me some space.

Actually having multiple grills makes life easy for me, I setup 5-6 grills, each with the preferred food on continuous and they make whatever is available, I tried setting them to different priorities each, but ended up just putting them all on 7 or 8. it also helps to disallow the real crap food like meal lice uncooked, or mush bar, or bristle berry as they get more calories or stop giving diarrhea when cooked, let alone a better morale benefit. and this way if you ever ACTUALLY get desperate because ur not cooking enough u can always temporarily allow the crap food so ur dupes don't starve.

in other words, use multiple grills (which also lets u cook the same thing on multiple grills in a pinch) disallow crap food, it allows u to cook everything worthwhile, and gives you a buffer if your off focusing on a room/pipe/gas/rocket that's not cooperating for a cycle or twenty.

Archived