Vampire bats swarm growth

Since the latest bat nerf i think this issues still didn't get solved.

In an older thread i read that the cave clefts actually are houses of bats and that they accumulate / grow there. In my playtime i never saw bats inside caves even on earlier builds, but that might be a bug or something.

I think this concept is smart, but needs better telegraphing towards the players. Before nerf bat waves were annoying and nonsensical. Now with nerf they are kinda boring and just feel like a hound attack reskin. My proposal is to again raise the amounth of bats, lower their damage, but telegraph the swarm growth much better ! I think the initial problem is map generation, that sometimes u can explore for days and never find a single cave cleft.

Ofc i don't know how exactly that swarming mechanism worked ( unless it was just a rumor and not true ), but i see alot of potential with it.

Now with halloween around and hamlet getting maybe some "dracula" vibes it would be really fitting. It's and old archetype of the Village + innocent "pig" people vs the dark outside aka dracula / werewolves / bat swarms.

So do people have ideas how the player can naturally find out that bats grave in said caves and how to lower counter big bat waves?

I think that mechanic would be very unique and differeiate hamlet from the old "outdated" crockodoc and hound attack waves.

It could feel "castlevania" - a terrible curse has raised - message in the night like. If the bats stay nerfed i feel cave clefts feel somehow empty and boring :(

I just think the old mechanic XX spend days = yy bats is boring and can be balanced more delicatelly :D

Max day count with always 9 bats swarming don't cut it for lategamers i'm afraid ...

What do others think?

TL;DR

Please reimplement vampire grow swarm mechanic(if that was a thing) with better telegraphic towards new players / rebalance cave clefts.

Archived