Not getting Halloween Drops/Gifts

I posted a comment on the Facebook page when the Hallowed Nights event went live, but I did not get a response, so I am posting this here. I have not been getting drops for the event. Also, sleeping under a fully decorated Spooky Tree (in complete darkness) does not result in any gifts being left. I did update my Steam/DST programs so everything is current, but no matter what I do, how long I play, what I accomplish, or whose world I'm in, I just am an not getting any of the anticipated items. One Day 1, I got a single curio which included three mundane items and "Woeful Shoes", and in a world that my boyfriend hosted, I got a few mundane gift boxes (gloves, pants). After those few drops, it just dried up completely. I remember that I used to get a lot of holiday-themed curios during last year's events, so this seems like a bug, by comparison. I couldn't find any info (and I didn't want to see spoilers) about what to do for this year's event, but I surmised that I would find/craft a tree to decorate, and presumably sleep under. I crafted one (and found one, in another world), decorated, and took a leap of faith to camp under it in total darkness. Twice. I heard a *ding* each time, but upon waking, there were no gifts or items or anything that I could find. I had inventory space, so that shouldn't have been a problem, if it had been needed. I was streaming on Twitch (and got raided), so I asked the viewers if I was doing something wrong, and all they said was to do what I did: Sleep and wait for gifts.

Are there any known issues of Mods conflicting with holiday functionality? The Mods I use are mainly for expanded inventory and simpler re-spawning (since I often play alone, or only with +1). My worlds are all set for the Hallowed Nights event. We even played for a brief time in one of our old Hallowed Nights worlds, and it was retro-fitted with the 2o18 elements; the Mad Science lab and recipes all work fine, but the only problem there is that it's a no-night world, so I don't expect our Spooky Tree to grow or be usable, and I don't expect to get XP related drops since we're pretty well advanced and there isn't much left to do there. 

Luckily (or unluckyly?) I believe that none of your problems are actually bugs, but work as intended. 

First, the Totally Normal Trees. You're mixing two events: Hallowed Nights (which is currently active) and Winter's Feast. The latter contains Festive Trees, if you sleep under those, you get a gift. However, Hallowed Nights has no such feature. You cannot get any gifts from sleeping under the spooky trees, that was never a feature.

About the skins you (not) get. I believe you mix the Forge-like events with other in-game events. Those have some major differences and I actually think the fact that both are called "events" is a bit confusing. During Hallowed Nights (and Winter's Feast and Chinese New Year as well) you get just the regular amount of drops, some of which are replaced by chests, which contain 4 items. This means that currently you can only get 4 drops per week, not more, so I think there's no error here either. Last year's Hallowed Nights was a bit confusing, because it was mostly at the same time as the Forge. You could earn xp and chests for playing the Forge (and later the Gorge), letting players get a lot more skins than usual. But you cannot get xp or chests for any survival game action, not even during Hallowed Nights, and so no additional chests either. Just the regular 4 drops per week.

I hope I could clear things a bit. Cheers! :) 

It helps to know that, so thank you. I was unaware that drops were limited to 4x per week; I don't play as often as I'd like to, but when I do, I go heavy and hard for a long time (and the days run together) so I might've had my memories jumbled a bit. I suppose my Spooky Trees are just good camping spots for if I don't happen to have any fuel on hand. I love the spidery decorations on them, though -- I might make a small camp close by. I guess I'll probably just have to buy the skins, then, to get everything? I don't mind spending money on Klei (they're one of the few companies that I truly love to support), I just didn't want to buy things and then wind up getting them as freebies and feel like I should have spent my money on other things.

2 minutes ago, Cynicallia said:

I don't mind spending money on Klei (they're one of the few companies that I truly love to support), I just didn't want to buy things and then wind up getting them as freebies and feel like I should have spent my money on other things.

I feel the same. I recommend waiting till the end of the event and buying the skins you want only then. This way you can prevent getting a skin again from a drop but still getting at the end every item you want.

Archived