Would giving people worlds be safe?

So... I have a dedicated public server up, but I am kinda feeling a bit guilty. I see worlds come and go, some reaching past summer before everyone has to leave. Except when people DO leave a new batch comes in, and usually they just die quickly to get a new world, all of that old progress is gone, forever.

Now I had an idea recently, what if I offer people the world on the server? I provide them the good connection, a good start, whatever... But then once they are done they still get to play later, just privately. Of course I would bundle it so that the cluster key, name, and description of the server is different. Plus the steam group ID would not be shown, and logs would be deleted. Though I do have one question. Would this be safe, for me, and for them? Do the worlds contain info that could possibly compromise my server, other than the cluster key? Should I, or shouldn't I offer this to people. Heck maybe even transferring a world isn't even possible, I have never tried. (Though a friend told me it worked). 

It is safe, if you make sure to remove certain things first, such as Cluster key, IPs, logs, etc as you already listed yourself.

Also your friend is correct, it's possible and in fact very easy to transfer dedicated server worlds. Just clean it up by removing the cluster key, etc and share the world with people you want. (This sounded more epic than intended now that I read it myself.)

Putting it inside a .zip archive is probably a good idea as well, so you don't have to send around a colletion of files.

It's up to you, if you want to share it or not. I think it's a neat idea for people who want to continue, though I'm not sure if there will be a lot of people who go through the effort of setting up their own server for getting their old world back, if they didn't set up one in the first place to continuously play on it.

Archived