Intended or Bug?

I stumbled onto the following and was wondering if it was intended behavior or a bug (if it is and has already been addressed, kindly ignore this post). If it is a bug and hasn't been addressed, I'd post in the appropriate forum when confirmed.

When I was playing around in my world, I realized that dupes are not able to cross a tile if there is a door on that tile (see screenshots). Howeve r, if u change the door's setting to open/ locked, they are then able to cross. If this is intended behavior, I can see a couple of interesting uses for it, what do you guys think?

EDIT: I'm playing on the Stable Release of Rocketry Upgrade.

5bc7ad93c37d3_1tilegap.thumb.jpg.b130855fb7d35dde3c1514e17f70ab80.jpgcrossable.thumb.jpg.671bdb3262a78919c41fc94d7881fbb5.jpg5bc7ad92a349d_regulardoor.thumb.jpg.5dd27281c0c43d591c28b19c87390784.jpg5bc7ad91c20c0_opendoor.thumb.jpg.216773d2a326b069fecf565aed1c313b.jpg5bc7ad90bf892_odcrossable.thumb.jpg.01c5e3e1dd1adcc243e21405c9e88eea.jpg5bc7ad8ee73b2_closeddoor.thumb.jpg.dfcadd0d404a1c4fbfe8510131593a66.jpg5bc7ad8df0c0f_cdcrossable.thumb.jpg.dbf292abb11d18738330380b70cb7871.jpg

This isn't exactly a bug, but not exactly a feature either. It's what programmers would call an "unintended outcome".

What's happening here is an oddity of the dupe pathing AI. A dupe cannot path through a door unless he can access the bottom tile it rests on, which is why a door positioned horizontally cannot be passed through with ladders above/below it if the bottom tile of the door is recessed into the left wall, but it can be passed through just fine if the bottom tile of the door intersects the vertical ladder.

In the first picture, example #1 is just normal pathing. A dupe prefers will path over the 1-tile wide gap, essentially teleporting across. Example #2 is exactly the same, as open doors are treated by the game as not there for pathing AIs and gas/liquid flow. Exampe #4 is a showcase of what happens with solid doors that are locked, which are treated by pathing AIs and liquid/gas as two solid tiles. A dupe will walk right on top of it.

Example #3 is where things get weird, as the door is a "solid tile", but also a door that the dupe cannot access the bottom of. The dupe can't walk over it, as it's a door that isn't locked. He can't walk through it, as he can't access the bottom tile, because the door is in the way. The AI doesn't see it as a 1-tile wide gap to jump over either, since there's a door there. So the AI says "Nope, no way through!".

You can see this with the airflow doors too, though the behavior is a bit different. When locked, the airflow door is two "solid" tiles that can be walked on. When unlocked, but closed, it isn't a "solid tile" like a mechanized door, which means the dupe can access the bottom tile of the door to open it. The dupe will "hop" across the 1-tile gap, while at the same time opening/closing the door to pass "through" it.

ONI gets weird with the pathing AIs.

Archived