Dragonfly continuously spawns lavae? Normal or bug?

Hey everyone. When I fight dragonfly on DST, she will start spawning her little lavae. Once they all die, she'll go back and spawn another set of lavae. I expected her to become enraged instead of going back to spawn more. Is this normal behavior? If so, is there a way to stop her from spamming them back to back?

Usually she does respawn new Larvae once in a while. If you deal enough damage per second that she "falls down" for a short while she doesn't go into rage mode, and instead just swings a few times at you, and goes back to spawning larvae.

This is indeed the correct behaviour.

The easiest way to deal with the Larvae is to trap them, for example with walls and signs. (They try to pathfind around walls, but don't see the hitbox of signs, so just add holes in a wall, and fill them with signs, so they get stuck there without going around the wall.)

It's a bug.

Specifically there's a race condition between the last lavae automatically dying after 30 seconds, and something which resets the amount of lavae in the wave. This means two things are trying to proc at the same time.

In the proc onLavaeDeath, it checks if this is the last lavae in the wave, if it's true, the dragonfly enrages.

There's also a timer that's reset every time a lavae spawns, for 30 seconds, so basically the lavae is set to die in 30 seconds, and there's a timer for 30 seconds at the same time.

What does this timer do? Reset the amount of lavae in the wave. But code can't run two things at the same time, so it chooses randomly.

If onLavaeDeath procs first on the last lavae's natural death, then the dragonfly will enrage.

If the timer procs first, then the amount of lavae in the wave will be reset, and the onLavaeDeath check will not see it as the last lavae in the wave, and the dragonfly will continue spawning.

Also maybe an interesting thought I just had, if you could keep the dragonfly asleep for 30 seconds the timer would technically proc, food for thought I guess.

So what can we do to get around this? Well just avoid natural lavae deaths to avoid the race condition. If you flute before the dragonfly spawns the last lavae, most of the other lavae will die naturally, then the last lavae will spawn alone, free for you to kill for a consistent enrage. I use that strategy in this video.

It's interesting to note this though, this bug is easily fixed.

The timer for resetting the lavae wave is worthless because the dragonfly automatically calls the proc to reset the amount of lavae when it reaches the specific health points where it should spawn lavae anyways. If they wanted this to be random this is a bad and confusing way of doing it anyways. It's clearly a bug aka "feature"

Removing the timer made the dragonfly fight function as it seemingly should for me when I edited it out in the code.

Can't really argue with @Whoneedspacee since I didn't ever care about that thing much, but I can hint you that she needs a tank. If you keep fighting her normally (6-7 hits, evade, repeat(6 or 7 is static for every dragonfly determined on her respawn. Something with how timers work I think.)), this timer will never run out. Also, I believe disabling via stun/sleep/freeze does pause all transition timers for any boss. Best thing you can do is GIT GUD with the help of console for testing stuff.

21 hours ago, Diaboliko said:

Can't really argue with @Whoneedspacee since I didn't ever care about that thing much, but I can hint you that she needs a tank. If you keep fighting her normally (6-7 hits, evade, repeat(6 or 7 is static for every dragonfly determined on her respawn. Something with how timers work I think.)), this timer will never run out. Also, I believe disabling via stun/sleep/freeze does pause all transition timers for any boss. Best thing you can do is GIT GUD with the help of console for testing stuff.

It's pretty hard to get a pan flute off while the dragonfly and lavae are chasing you I found though. The strategy of doing it in the video before means that the dragonfly won't chase you if you walk off since the aggro drops, and you're free to easily kill the last lavae.

32 minutes ago, Whoneedspacee said:

It's pretty hard to get a pan flute off while the dragonfly and lavae are chasing you I found though.

1 lavae hit < 1 dfly hit. Especially if you avoid being lit on fire. Though those situations are quite rare. its easier to just count larvas, preparing your next move.

1 minute ago, Diaboliko said:

1 lavae hit < 1 dfly hit. Especially if you avoid being lit on fire. Though those situations are quite rare. its easier to just count larvas, preparing your next move.

Yes but with my method you never get hit? Also the lavae and dfly hits will hit you out of the pan flute animation if you don't do it fast enough, also for servers you have to account for latency as well. Doing it before the dfly spawns the last lavae is just simpler and easier imo.

Archived