Magneto Snail

Genrally the first idea i had was for it to be a hostile creature blocking paths in the magma biome and exploding on death.
More here:

Then i tought they might be a potential source of steel if you manage to get their shells. I thought of them having a high enough temperature so that dupes cannot wrangle them and risk scalding when comming close (even in exosuits).

Now to a more tamable version. Maybe it could be a second critter type in the oil biome. Walking on walls like Dreckos and not caring about being submerged actually preferring to be under oil at around 100oC. Theri lifecycle should be really long (200+ cycles) so to get the steel consistently you`d have to find a way to kill them off which should be hard. When attacked they would curl into the shell and take no damage (or almost none, maybe they could break after a long time). Easiest way of killing thm would be freezing them at around -40oC or dropping into magma (which could end in the steel melting). Maybe we could keep the explosion on death so setting up a ranch or butchery for those things would be an extra challenge.
They would eat sulfur when tamed and maybe produce sour gas as an unwanted (but potentially useful) waste. They would be ranched for steel anyway.

Maybe a glass or diamond morph as well.

Archived