Sign in to follow this  
toskahersoul

Advanced Game Tips

Recommended Posts

Finally starting to play games that are 100+ days. Ive been gathering good tips for long term games and advanced play.

-crock pots and dragon fruit farms used to make dragon fruit pies are the DS equivalent of health potions (strong, 40+ pts)

-perogies are good recipes to use as "health potions" but dragon fruit pies only require 1 dragon fruit and 3 sticks vs perogies which require 1 meat, 1 egg, 1 veggie, and 1 filler (sticks cant be used), so I dont rely on perogies as I find they take up too much time and too many resources

-save mandrakes for pan flutes!!! thats its most practical use above eating them raw/cooked/mandrake soup, you might think the mandrakes are another DS equivolent of health potions but their numbers are limited and 1 mandrake can be used to make 1 panflute that can put an enemy to sleep 10xs, dragon fruit pies which give an equal amount of health are unlimited if you have a dragon fruit farm so dont waste your mandrakes!

-dont pick flowers if necessary, if you have to dont clear out whole biomes, the butterflies are like endless supplies of health potions (weak, 8pts) their easy access makes them valuable. 10 butterflies = 80 health pts, use mobs to kill them more easily

-pick a place early on (away from your base) to plant a bunch of your pinecones, when giants spawn lead them to your "tree farm" so they can knock down a bunch of your trees (1 giant spawns every season unless youre underground)

-since crockpots are the best source for food and health, drying racks are more practically used for meat that is going to spoil soon and cant be used

-dont bring rocklobsters above ground!! trust me you will regret it, they reproduce ridiculously quick and they kill everything, 1 RL above ground can reproduce enough RL to kill out your beefalo herds in a fairly short amount of time, dont do it!!

-if it starts to rain frogs run immediately away from your base to an area you dont mind being over run by a plague of frogs (pig villages are a good alternative and a way to farm the meat from the frog rain)

-placing several pig houses around frog ponds will create a practically unlimited source of pig meat and frog legs

-remember plants dont grow in winter, and youre going to need at least 2 thermal stones to stay warm, make 4 and you can keep 2 at your fire heating up while youre gone so you can switch them out as you begin to freeze (dont forget that cold thermal stones will drop your temperature faster)

-once your base gets to be rather big it eventually becomes necessary to camp away from your main camp during the summer, theres only so many cogs and so many ice flingomatics that you can make (I prefer camping underground, just make sure your second camp is far away from your first and dont go back until summer is over)

-If you plan on going away from main base during the summer make sure to build a second base, and transplant twigs/grass/berry bushes before the summer comes! Dont forget your supply of nitre.

-the longer your game is the larger the hound waves become, when you notice your hound waves becoming too big to handle it is time to build a "panic room" preferably before they become too overwhelming (a quick google search will show you how)

-i always fence in at least 1 heard of beefalo in a large area, remember that some beefalo will continously try to walk through walls to get back to their heard which can be a problem because they wont drop as much manure- but if you fence beefalo that have babies, when those babies will grow up they register your fenced in area as a their home and so wont their off spring (use a beefalo horn to call 5 beefalo into your pen or aggro a herd and run to your pen then close them in)

-if you dont want gobblers gobbling up all of your transplanted berries, fence your berry bushes in with some tooth traps for a combination of crop protection and gobbler harvesting

-easiest ways to bring up sanity (besides tents) are: cooked cactus, cooked blue/green mushrooms , standing near friendly pigs which is only possible if they are cornered or you are chopping trees with them, + crafting new prototypes (seriously picking flowers for sanity isnt worth it in the long run)

Im sure theres more that I could add to this but its 3am. Lol Help me add to my list? :)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello, I'm so new, well, let me tell you that I've already crafted 6 objects from the pseudoscience station and I went to world 2 with all that and several other things, my character is wx
Well I wanted to know what I should do from now on, will world 2 be harder or not?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TemporaryMan    1,216
On 7/23/2018 at 3:15 AM, toskahersoul said:

-perogies are good recipes to use as "health potions" but dragon fruit pies only require 1 dragon fruit and 3 sticks vs perogies which require 1 meat, 1 egg, 1 veggie, and 1 filler (sticks cant be used), so I dont rely on perogies as I find they take up too much time and too many resources

Farming dragon pies is resource and labour intensive and requires a lot of space.  The meat and eggs in pierogies can come from monster meat, which you'll likely find yourself overstocked with anyway just trying to survive.  You can also transplant moles into/near your base and hunt them at night, but do NOT leave gunpowder and old bells lying around.  Any vegetable will do, so you can just pick stray mushrooms you find in your travels, or throw in the spare cacti that are turning stale.  Most of the time, choose the diet that more easily fits your lifestyle and the resources you can find without really trying.  However, keep in mind that meat dishes have a longer eating animation, so for the most dangerous situations, you may prefer to bring dragon pies.  Also, they won't anger bunnymen.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:15 AM, toskahersoul said:

-dont bring rocklobsters above ground!! trust me you will regret it, they reproduce ridiculously quick and they kill everything, 1 RL above ground can reproduce enough RL to kill out your beefalo herds in a fairly short amount of time, dont do it!!

Is this still true?  I know Klei tried to fix it a while back, but I haven't really felt like testing it.  I think they mostly overpopulate the rocky biome now.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:15 AM, toskahersoul said:

-remember plants dont grow in winter, and youre going to need at least 2 thermal stones to stay warm, make 4 and you can keep 2 at your fire heating up while youre gone so you can switch them out as you begin to freeze (dont forget that cold thermal stones will drop your temperature faster)

Most plants may not grow, but tumbleweeds and cacti will, providing a much-needed source of grass, twigs, and vegetables.  

On 7/23/2018 at 3:15 AM, toskahersoul said:

-the longer your game is the larger the hound waves become, when you notice your hound waves becoming too big to handle it is time to build a "panic room" preferably before they become too overwhelming (a quick google search will show you how)

Another option is fields full of tooth traps.  There's no walls that can prevent you from running away in an emergency, and you don't have to worry about hounds approaching from the wrong side.

On 7/23/2018 at 3:15 AM, toskahersoul said:

-if you dont want gobblers gobbling up all of your transplanted berries, fence your berry bushes in with some tooth traps for a combination of crop protection and gobbler harvesting

It's cheaper and more convenient just to build a small wall around some item of plant food on the ground, ideally a powder cake.  Gobblers will be distracted by it, and you can just walk up and kill them for extra meat.  Consider changing the ground tile to something eyeplants can't grow on.  You can move your tooth traps to the trap field to deal with hounds instead.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this