Gifting Together with extra copy

Hi,

I'm wondering how the current Steam sale of Don't Starve Together works. I already own the game, so I want to give it away to a friend. However, when I gifted it to my husband's account, it only gave him one copy. Should he receive an additional copy? Because right now on the Steam store, it's saying that you will get an EXTRA copy of Don't Starve Together in addition to the one added to your library.

Does this extra copy just go away when you're already gifting it to someone?

Thanks

Hi there, shade.

I'm not 100% certain what your situation is, but I'll explain the scenarios and what should happen in each of them.

If you had bought DST in the past and didn't gift the free copy that your game came with (until you decided to give it to your husband), then gifting the extra copy to him wouldn't allow him to gift a copy to someone else, too. If that were the case then theoretically only 1 copy would have to be purchased in order to allow everyone else interested to play the game for free.

Now, in the event that you bought DST in the past and bought your husband a 2nd copy (which means you paid for 2 DST games), then he should've gotten an extra copy to gift away as well. If this is what happened and your husband didn't get an extra copy, you should probably send in a support ticket and ask CS for clarification as to why he didn't get an extra copy.

I hope that clears up the matter for you!

For clarification, when you purchase Don't Starve Together for yourself on Steam, one copy of the game will automatically be activated on your Steam account (as it would normally). You will also find a giftable copy of Don't Starve Together in your Steam Inventory that you can send to a friend.

If you already own Don't Starve Together and choose to buy another copy, the only option available is to purchase the game "as a gift" and send the gift to a friend, the person who receives the gift will automatically get Don't Starve Together activated on their Steam account and game library (as it normally would). That same person will also find a second, giftable copy of Don't Starve Together in their Steam Inventory that they can send to another friend.

More information about Steam inventory and gifting can be found here: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?p_faqid=549

Archived