'Don't sweat it' circuit

I have a refinery chained with polymer press. They're set up in my power facility and are cooled with the facility's coolant which grants the press almost 100% uptime. There are some convenient technical details about the implementation which I may get to later, but I was mostly annoyed by the fact that every now and then a duplicant would come and run for a few seconds on the refinery just to fill the pipe, then run away as the pipe blocked. 

kJmtlAL.jpg

There's a small pipe buffer between refinery and press, large enough to last about half a cycle runtime:

B8qktde.jpg

So to prevent dupes coming too often to make just a little bit of petroleum, I made this circuit. It's designed to cut power to the refinery if somebody stands next to the machine for a while (I set it to 10 seconds) and then leaves:

LT6oIbi.jpg

Here's a brief explanation what individual logical signals mean:

10Bv72w.jpg

The filter gate is set to 10 second as I mentioned earlier, the bottom buffer gate is set to 1 second as it only needs to hold the signal for just a short while for the AND gate to register, and the upper buffer gate is set to maximum 200 second for which then the machine goes out of power. 

Within alotted 10 seconds to get registered, the duplicant can make enough petroleum to grant the press 60 seconds of work. Most of the time, though, the duplicant just fills the pipe up. It's not 100% bulletproof and the press can get some downtime if circumstances come the wrong way but as I wrote before, in practice it has nearly 100% uptime.

Enjoy~

2 minutes ago, Luminite2 said:

Nice. It would be cool to combine it with something that traps the dupe in there for enough time to fill the pipe completely, to prevent them from getting distracted by food, bladder, or night.

So far it has not been a problem since when interrupts occur, there's still the pipe buffer. If you make it a bit larger, it will be able to cover longer periods with a good chance that a dupe will then come and top it up again.

7 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

So far it has not been a problem since when interrupts occur, there's still the pipe buffer. If you make it a bit larger, it will be able to cover longer periods with a good chance that a dupe will then come and top it up again.

That makes sense, I meant it more as a way to optimize dupe time (reducing the number of times they have to climb down to the refinery), as opposed to optimizing press uptime. Certainly not necessary of course.

Archived