Cool and “new” fuelweaver strategy

This is a strategy I came up with but never posted here, pretty much the same as the Dragonfly thread.

Still have yet to see anyone pull off a run like this with this minimal gear.

Also yes the world is cheated just like all my other runs, but only the item spawns.

This run could definitely be improved and is about average as I am now.

Anyway, here’s the strategy (from my reddit comment, I edited it a bit)

Spoiler

On the topic of the snare, I did a bit of code digging because just like you I was getting frustrated with inconsistency in dodging and him getting up.

There's timers for all the actions and the feasting one I'm fairly certain is 3 seconds when the little guys get close to him and it resets and increases to I think 7 seconds whenever he eats one.

My main strategy came from getting more time to attack, both the spawning of the woven shadows and the unseen hands have 20 second cooldowns. The woven shadows cooldown timer is reset every time a woven shadow dies, but he cannot spawn them until all are dead so the cooldown truly doesn't start until all of them die, basically there’s a 20 second spawn timer for the woven shadows after the last one dies. Same with the shield, until the last unseen hands dies he can’t actually spawn more.

With that my strategy was to kill the last woven shadow and the hands at the same time to have a full 20 seconds, the woven shadows have a default lifespan of 45 seconds so I just ran around, you could definitely kill them though to make the run faster, but it’s risky and hard with the fuelweavers feasting since you have to predict when he’ll get up. The decrease in time is negligible anyways.

It’s definitely not the most effective way because people usually just cheese easily, but it’s definitely fun and was for me when I did it with my friends. You don’t have to gather a ton of stuff either.

Congrats to Klei for repeatedly (and maybe accidentally looking at queen bee and toadstool) making great solo bosses in your venture against players like me.

After I saw video last year, it was really fresh to me. And yes this is really great strategy to use without cheese.

So I think this strategy should be basement to kill fuel weaver!

But it is really hard to drive fuel weaver perfectly lol

1 hour ago, Altari said:

After I saw video last year, it was really fresh to me. And yes this is really great strategy to use without cheese.

So I think this strategy should be basement to kill fuel weaver!

But it is really hard to drive fuel weaver perfectly lol

Yeah but there’s a lot of que’s as to when certain things will happen. Like after a bone cage disappears 7 seconds have passed which means he can use his bone cage again. Just have to kind of feel it out, definitely takes pracice.

Neat, this is the same strategy I use for Fuelweaver.
Here am some other noteworthy tips when fighting Fuelweaver with this method.

1. When dodging the bone cage attack, running against a pillar (not simply standing next to it) will guarantee that the cage won't spawn at all. This is to avoid the off chance that the bone cage does snare you even if you're hugging the edge.

2. You always want to kill off the last woven shadow before destroying the last unseen hand. This is so that the Fuelweaver will do his summoning animation for his woven shadows before creating the unseen hands, giving you a window to give you a bunch of free swings (whereas if you kill the unseen hand first, Fuelweaver will summon the unseen hands, and then the woven shadows, giving you no swings in).

3. Once Fuelweaver summons the woven shadows, it's best to station him near the edge of the arena (like the very edge) until the woven shadows stop spawning. This is to lessen the chance that a woven shadow will spawn directly on top of him, giving him a guaranteed 400hp. This is especially helpful for characters who do not have damage multipliers, and suffer more from each successful woven shadow.

4. If you're doing this fight without a Beequeen Crown, I recommend a method I call stutter-stepping (it's just fancier kiting). This is where you take a small step in between every attack (not just after a mob's attack period) to make distance between you and Fuelweaver as quickly as possible. This is because of his insanity aura. Being directly on top of a mob with a negative sanity aura drains significantly more sanity than if you were a single unit away (which is still in attack range). This means you use less sanity restoration items. Note that this method only works well if you have little to no lag. (This technique also works well when fighting Deerclops, who has the same insanity aura in combat as Fuelweaver does. Deerclops also tends to move toward you when kiting, meaning you will be placed directly on top of him. Fuelweaver doesn't do this as often, but it still happens.)

1 hour ago, KoreanWaffles said:

Neat, this is the same strategy I use for Fuelweaver.
Here am some other noteworthy tips when fighting Fuelweaver with this method.

1. When dodging the bone cage attack, running against a pillar (not simply standing next to it) will guarantee that the cage won't spawn at all. This is to avoid the off chance that the bone cage does snare you even if you're hugging the edge.

2. You always want to kill off the last woven shadow before destroying the last unseen hand. This is so that the Fuelweaver will do his summoning animation for his woven shadows before creating the unseen hands, giving you a window to give you a bunch of free swings (whereas if you kill the unseen hand first, Fuelweaver will summon the unseen hands, and then the woven shadows, giving you no swings in).

3. Once Fuelweaver summons the woven shadows, it's best to station him near the edge of the arena (like the very edge) until the woven shadows stop spawning. This is to lessen the chance that a woven shadow will spawn directly on top of him, giving him a guaranteed 400hp. This is especially helpful for characters who do not have damage multipliers, and suffer more from each successful woven shadow.

4. If you're doing this fight without a Beequeen Crown, I recommend a method I call stutter-stepping (it's just fancier kiting). This is where you take a small step in between every attack (not just after a mob's attack period) to make distance between you and Fuelweaver as quickly as possible. This is because of his insanity aura. Being directly on top of a mob with a negative sanity aura drains significantly more sanity than if you were a single unit away (which is still in attack range). This means you use less sanity restoration items. Note that this method only works well if you have little to no lag. (This technique also works well when fighting Deerclops, who has the same insanity aura in combat as Fuelweaver does. Deerclops also tends to move toward you when kiting, meaning you will be placed directly on top of him. Fuelweaver doesn't do this as often, but it still happens.)

Cool I didn't know anyone else used these strategies since I've basically seen nothing on it no matter how hard I looked.

#1 and #2 are used in the video, though #2 only once I think, #2 is fairly useless I think since you have to delay the destruction of the hands long enough since it has the highest priority over spawning the little guys to the point where you lost time doing that, it may be better though and it's certainly more satisfying to get like 8 free hits.

#3 I generally use now, but it's really not that big of a deal and I'll usually just use it as an opportunity to clear a bunch of woven shadows spawning and make sure there aren't any ****ty situations where he gets stuck while being lured.

#4 seems difficult even with no lag but it seems interesting for even more minimalist runs since sanity is a big problem during the fight.

I'll see if I can record a no armor no healing video at some point like my dragonfly one, but I've gotten a bit bored of bossing and don't starve in general lately.

Archived