Main and Sub-Jobs

So before I forget this again and never post it.

Like it seems I'm not the only one who is not quite happy with the current Job-system especially when Dups just don't do things because it's not their speciallity or just don't do their Job even when told

this can be seen the best with "Construction" which is now absolutely mind boggling slow compared to before. The reason is actually quite simple ... first of all building a wall is handled as an construction task ... but it also needs an supply task to bring the building materials and an dig task to get rid of potential background ... AND then you can build ... if you are lucky your builder is close by ... which isn't the case probably

and this goes on for so many things ... cooking ... supply of the cooking station to even start cooking... same for science. Harvest is probably the most broken second to construction where everything is a supply task except the harvest and the use of the farming station.

So ... could we make it so that our Dups can have a second job at some point? A secondary task? What i think is like you make one Dub go construction and digging and another construction and supply ... and then they focus on task that start with construction and also focus on exactly this tasks that also need digging or more supply

on the other hand task that do start in a chain like construction shouldn't be prioritized by Dubs that only have the secondary Task as a Main job ... your fully fledged Supplier shouldn't bother with every single piece of ladder you want to build far far at the end of your base ... could they pls just focus on the stuff that should move from Storage to machine? So if i let one go Main Job supply and secondary job Cook the Dup should fill all the cooking stations and maybe help out cooking if it doesn't get used up fast enough

It's probably the best to add some sort of delay to every task in regards to it's demand for attention ... everything that is just recently placed by the user should wait a bit and see if Dups with a high priority/Main job become free to do it, rather than let the next best fill in the job even if this means the next "professional" would have to do something he/she isn't up to.

And while your at this ... pls add some more possibilities to Doors and give us the option to create Job groups that can be giving specific access rules ... make it so you can chose a main job and a secondary job and then what direction the dups should go. This should overwrite the default rules of the door, but still be overruled by Dup specific settings.

You mean something like a scullion?
Could need a mastered gofer job and a mastered sous-chef job. Then you can "promote" the Dupe to scullion which in the end is a gofer with cooking abilites. He would deliver primarily stuff to food-buildings and if there is nothing to deliver he'd start cooking. And if there is also nothing to cook he starts other delivery jobs.

Did you have something like this on your mind?

Another one can be a geologist. Miner + Research Assistant/Scientist = Geologist.
He would primarily dig like a miner. Is there nothing to dig? Science it is! But he would sit somewhere at Tier IV or V and wont be as good as a Seasoned Miner for digging or a tenured scientist for researching.
Oh...and only geologists can activate geysers :D

Cook + Artist = 3rd cook level? 

Honestly I view the new job system like an RPG job tree rather than a priority manager. I like to get everyone mastered with groundskeeper and courier for the added strength, then start putting them in their preferred jobs rather than starting them out with what they are inclined towards.

It's like building an HP tank before you pick their class.

13 hours ago, scientas said:

Honestly I view the new job system like an RPG job tree rather than a priority manager. I like to get everyone mastered with groundskeeper and courier for the added strength, then start putting them in their preferred jobs rather than starting them out with what they are inclined towards.

It's like building an HP tank before you pick their class.

Nice to see someone else who uses that strategy. I train everyone in courier and tier2 mining before dedicating them to specific jobs. Sometimes if their learning is low, I'll even run them thru one or two scientist tiers.

e. Eventually, everyone is an abyssalite miner exosuit engineer. It's awesome.

8 hours ago, Ambaire said:

Nice to see someone else who uses that strategy. I train everyone in courier and tier2 mining before dedicating them to specific jobs. Sometimes if their learning is low, I'll even run them thru one or two scientist tiers.

e. Eventually, everyone is an abyssalite miner exosuit engineer. It's awesome.

Hear hear. The odd thing I've noticed though is that for whatever reason anyone I train in tier 2 farming suddenly turns into the drummer from Spinal Tap (or the defense against the dark arts teacher for you youngsters). It's like the black spot.

Archived