Fast & Efficient Storage- construction + utility

After using many different builds and methods of building storage, I think I've finally landed on the optimal one. Here's a video of the build in action:

Spoiler

To make it as efficient as possible, build the tiles first and out of the same material you plan on constructing the bins with. As in the video, build from the top down. For added utility, build the final floor out of mechanized airlock doors, linked with automation to a clock sensor:

Spoiler

5aad8a9ff24c3_DesktopScreenshot2018_03.17-14_33_45_77.thumb.png.4ec15e5563426b826e5f1ae3a98a12b9.png

Build a hatch pen below, or several in a vertical orientation. Keep the clock sensor's duration at 0% (locked), then unload whatever materials you don't need from all the bins (looking at you, clay). When unloaded, set the clock to 100% duration. Open the doors, and let them eat clay.

I didn't know that you could store stuff in compactors with the floor missing. Seems like a bug if so.

edit: also, you can use any sensor you like. a pressure one would require less micro to toggle it. Just set to active below/above 10,000g.

20 minutes ago, Rotintin said:

I don't see how it would be less micro, solids don't trigger those. Am I missing something :??

.. it's literally this simple. click 'below' to open door, click 'above' to close it. No messing with dragging sliders around every time.

N6RgdIK.png

The real question. Why do the suspended containers in your second picture not have the "unsupported" icon.

That is my biggest issue with using this little trick. Not the trick itself, the mass of red icons distracting me...

Archived