Newbie needing help with a quick mod edit.

Hey everybody,

So I just started getting into don't starve together and I'm loving the mods for it so far! I'm trying to stay away from mods that completely change or break the game, but instead add just a little bit of quality of life changes here and there...except for one in particular. The lightsaber mod that was created a couple years ago. I absolutely love star wars and I need this mod in my life! Haha!

I love what the creator has done with it for the most part, but I was really hoping to make just a couple of small changes of my own to the mod. Only problem is I have absolutely no idea what I'm doing. I've tried reading up a bit on modding and watching videos, but there's so much going on depending on if you want to start from scratch or just do a couple of edits here and there and what you want to do just in general. So, I was hoping you guys could at least give me some pointers or point me in the right direction? Tools or programs I might need and whatnot?

So, the mod adds different colored crystals to drops, at a small percentage, when you mine gold mines or rock mines. You can then take those crystals and craft a certain lightsaber with 5 electric doodads, 5 nitre, and 3 specific colored crystals. Each saber color can have extra effects too if you toggle them on in the config, like freezing, starting things hit on fire, cut trees faster, do extra damage to monsters, etc. Then of course the fact that they look sweet!! Haha!

The only thing I don't really like is that the only way you can recharge the weapon is to use an electrical doodad to restore 10% durability. I feel like it'd just be easier to make a whole new saber instead of wasting doodads to recharge it. So why even have it? I do like the idea of being able to recharge it though. What I wanted to do is just go into the code and make it so each doodad would recharge it by like 20 or 30% instead of only 10%. Would I need to download some kind of code editor program like I've seen and do the whole dance with creating a new folder, rename it, unzip all the files to it, change the numbers I want to change, replace the old mod folder and then unsubscribe from the original mod in the workshop in order to get it to work? Is there any way to just open it in like notebook, change the numbers and save it? Or does it not work that way? If not, which program do you think would work best with just some quick changes like that? I don't actually plan on creating any mods from scratch, so I don't need to worry about that.

And then, if at all possible, I was thinking about also trying to add a way to use those special crystals as another way to recharge each saber. Make it so the same colored crystal can be used to recharge a saber for like 40 or 50% durability. That way they have some extra use as I'm stock piling them, even though they're somewhat rare drops. I figured it'd just be the same code used for the doodads, just replace the doodad command code with each individual colored crystal code for specific sabers or something? Does that sound plausible or am I in way over my head? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated! 

Here's a link to the lightsaber mod on steam if you didn't know about it or wanted to check it out:
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=609599183

Thanks,
Dave

Hello Dave o/

On 3/7/2018 at 4:07 AM, Davidnil said:

Would I need to download some kind of code editor program like I've seen and do the whole dance with creating a new folder, rename it, unzip all the files to it, change the numbers I want to change, replace the old mod folder and then unsubscribe from the original mod in the workshop in order to get it to work? 

Nope.

You just need a text editor. I use Notepad++

When you subscribe to a mod, it just copy the mod (a folder, normally called workshop-[ID]) in the DST mod's folder. (Default:~C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Don't Starve Together\mods).

You can just go to the "lightsaber"'s folder (I think it's workshop-609599183) and edit it. But I recommend to copy that folder and paste it right there. Then rename the copied folder (Example: "My lightsaber"). By doing this, the game will now recognize and show 2 identical lightsaber mods.

Now, you can go to "My lightsaber"'s folder and start editing. Edit "modinfo.lua" to distinguish them. For example:

name = "My Lightsaber"

---

...each doodad would recharge it by like 20 or 30% instead of only 10%.

I am not sure, but you can try change those lines:

Spoiler

-- *modmain.lua* LINE 32 --

FUEL = {
			EASY = total_day * 2,
			NORMAL = total_day * 1,
	},

Edited by sinideas

what sinideas said should be fine. If you want to um...

On 3/7/2018 at 3:07 AM, Davidnil said:

I was hoping you guys could at least give me some pointers or point me in the right direction? Tools or programs I might need and whatnot?

...then you might wanna look at the Getting Started With Modding Guide. Modding mods is really simple though. Creating mods, you... pretty much have to know how Monkey patching works, which is kind of tricky. But other than that it's still pretty simple.