Are there any viable alternatives to natural gas?

On my current map, I don't have access to a natural gas geyser (due to self-imposed constraint of not mining Abyss).  This has created various new and interesting challenges, but my power consumption problems have not been solved.  It feels like all other power methods just aren't viable to support a colony.  You need that infinite free gas.

Thoughts?

^^

hydrogen and coal can be okay but you need to get a fertilizer room set up.

you should be okay as long as you avoid petroleum and steam power if you use those sources you’re colony will nose dive.

you can make your own gas with fertilizer synthesizers.

Has anyone actually crunched the numbers on that one or tried it?  What would be the net gain in terms of power?

+800W NG - 360W FS = +440W

This has a PW requirement of 450 g/s; what am I assuming is creating this PW?

16 minutes ago, badimo said:

Has anyone actually crunched the numbers on that one or tried it?  What would be the net gain in terms of power?

The generators themselves will give a small portion of the required PW. You can also hook up your sinks and lavatories. Algae distiller and carbon skimmers should also give some, though I don't think that's power-positive.

In a pinch, you can also turn clean water into polluted water by venting it into a pool of polluted water; if surrounded by 3 tiles of PW, it will convert. This is not a great solution, but it may be better than using showers which consume dupe time and don't do anything useful.

1 hour ago, BT_20 said:

you should be okay as long as you avoid petroleum and steam power if you use those sources you’re colony will nose dive.

Sense he's not digging though abyssalite I doubt he'll have access to oil or magma

1 hour ago, badimo said:

you can also get coal from the fertilizer synthesizers if you keep hatches in there, can help with the power 

Archived