Mid-Game water + oxygen cooling

Hey all,

I've been tinkering with this setup for a while and really like it as an all in one cooling solution that's pretty efficient.   It pulls around 2kw of power for all the pumps and machines, fluctuating from  0.5kw to 3k with occasional 4kw spikes. Taking water at 70C from a geyser, it outputs 3000g/second of freezing water, and an overwhelming amount of oxygen at around 15.  You can branch off half the liquid oxygen for other cooling purposes and still retain these levels.

This enables you to mass produce sleet wheat and bristles pretty easily, and provide a surplus of oxygen to your dupes. The bristles can freeze, so i pump my c02 exhaust into their grow room to retain body temp above 5.

The main thing is burning the hydrogen or collecting it somewhere so it doesn't interrupt the flow of oxygen. Same goes for the oxygen, you need it to be going somewhere at all times or the temps can get cold.

Power:

Spoiler

5a9826aee290a_DesktopScreenshot2018_03.01-00_47_35_39.thumb.png.a38af982a327b0df2d211911a4574a93.png

Water:

Spoiler

5a982724ba7b5_DesktopScreenshot2018_03.01-00_47_20_18.thumb.png.c463aee130dea8da4c68d92482586d5a.png

Oxygen:

Spoiler

5a9827c80fcb2_DesktopScreenshot2018_03.01-08_17_29_26.thumb.png.4223386d444ab47776e95cf65724f9e9.png

Plumbing:

Spoiler

5a982861047bf_DesktopScreenshot2018_03.01-08_18_55_04.thumb.png.af4c1426d683d8e9bdb38a6e5e60de97.png

Ventilation:

Spoiler

5a98288563ac2_DesktopScreenshot2018_03.01-08_19_51_34.thumb.png.0f127bd4f3ea142067327829108616ac.png

It's a bit tricky to build this in game but I've done it several times. It depends on a nat gas geyser, and it takes some planning to prime it properly, but once it's up and running it runs smoothly. Using a thermo sensor above the bottom mini liquid pump essentially controls the temp of the water. Once the water vent is overpressured the temp will plummet to 0 then plateau.

I know a lot of you more experienced players are great at analyzing builds then refining/maximizing them. I'm hoping some of you will find this build interesting and collaborate / give feedback. Also, is this a drip explot? Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

If I understand it right, you make oxygen with electrolysers, then turn it into liquid oxygen with regulator-cooled hydrogen, and then use that liquid oxygen to get cold oxygen and cold water.

The only heat displacement part in your machine appear to be the regulators. However even if you run them all at full swing, processing 8 kg/s of hydrogen, that only displaces 269 kJ of heat per second. Removing that energy from 3000 g/s of water would cool it by 21 C, not from 70 C to zero. So I guess large part of the effect is caused by a heat-related bug.

I am also not sure what do you do with the polluted water your regulators are bathing in. Are you boiling it off? 

And I'm a bit concerned about your NG generators, too. Sitting on mesh tiles, I'm afraid they get very little cooling from the polluted water falling around. 

17 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

If I understand it right, you make oxygen with electrolysers, then turn it into liquid oxygen with regulator-cooled hydrogen, and then use that liquid oxygen to get cold oxygen and cold water.

The only heat displacement part in your machine appear to be the regulators. However even if you run them all at full swing, processing 8 kg/s of hydrogen, that only displaces 269 kJ of heat per second. Removing that energy from 3000 g/s of water would cool it by 21 C, not from 70 C to zero. So I guess large part of the effect is caused by a heat-related bug.

I am also not sure what do you do with the polluted water your regulators are bathing in. Are you boiling it off? 

And I'm a bit concerned about your NG generators, too. Sitting on mesh tiles, I'm afraid they get very little cooling from the polluted water falling around. 

Thanks for taking a look at it. I'm making liquid oxygen from half of the oxygen produced, then sending it to cool the water. As it evaporates it mixes with the other half of hot oxygen being produced, then gets pumped out when it gets to 15C.

I think the critical part of the system is that the water stops coming in when it rises above the vent, allowing the whole column of water to cool to 0. Once it does we start pumping it out / back in and it holds temp. I'm not sure if that changes the math at all.

The polluted water is just being used to cool the regulators. I have the run off from my skimmer dripping on top of the nat gas, then down to the regulators. The door is set to a hydro sensor so it doesn't flood. In a non debug I'd be then sending the run off to the fertilizers. In a typical build I also just have mesh tiles as drains below the generators, not the fully row.

1 hour ago, Rotintin said:

I think the critical part of the system is that the water stops coming in when it rises above the vent, allowing the whole column of water to cool to 0. Once it does we start pumping it out / back in and it holds temp. I'm not sure if that changes the math at all.

This is the culprit, I have seen it happen elsewhere too. The vent doesn't stop when the tile covering it is just full, the tile above it gets a tiny bit of water in it (less than 10 kg). That "thin" layer (still takes up whole tile but let's call it that way) cools very easily and takes the whole column along.

18 minutes ago, Kasuha said:

This is the culprit, I have seen it happen elsewhere too. The vent doesn't stop when the tile covering it is just full, the tile above it gets a tiny bit of water in it (less than 10 kg). That "thin" layer (still takes up whole tile but let's call it that way) cools very easily and takes the whole column along.

You're right! I noticed before that ice was slowly accumulating at the bottom, it seems like that thin layer is instantly freezing and cooling the whole column like you said.

Spoiler

5a984fffb4def_DesktopScreenshot2018_03.01-10_53_31_13.thumb.png.a10241b028112fb5144968875cd5a28b.png

What's interesting is that I just tried this with half the oxygen production / cooling and it's cooling very slowly- not the constant 3000g/s or even close to it. Strange considering I'm only using half of the liquid oxygen in the full build.

42 minutes ago, Hechicera said:

Just an aside, reminded by the water dripping on the gas generators. You have power, water and dupes. I am amazed how often they cross, in ways that should kill them.

Genetic Ooze must be non-conductor.

All the dupes are dead, This is my debug world, its a cold place.

Archived