Auto sweepers need to have priority over duplicants

I set up a plastic extruder in a cooled room and to minimize the amount of heating in the room, I installed an auto-sweeper to pick the piece of plastic as soon as it is produced and send it away. Then I noticed sometimes the sweeper would leave the piece of plastic on the ground, and then, a dupe would come and pick the plastic and move it away. I had to prohibit duplicants entering the room to get rid of that unwanted effect.

I believe the auto sweeper should always have priority picking up things. Even if a duplicant is already on the way to pick the piece, the sweeper should be able to steal it from him and deliver it. That's what the sweeper is for, if it's mounted somewhere its task is to move everything it can reach, not grant some duplicants rights to come at their leisure to pick things that the sweeper could have moved long ago.

I'd be into this if it were somehow controllable, maybe by priorities? I don't think sweepers have a priority option now, but maybe it could be added. Sweepers with priority > 5 prohibit dupes from grabbing anything they can reach and validly deliver, priority = 5 is current behavior , priority < 5 means the sweeper only picks up items dupes can't reach. Or something like that.

The point is, I do usually want dupes to ignore items sweepers can reach, but not always. I'd be reluctant to change it in a way that makes it hard/impossible to allow dupes to work with arms when I want them to. At least the access controls we have currently give us a pretty reasonable ability to manage this.

Archived