How to overcome single threaded scaling limitations?

Here’s my problem, DST appears to run each shard on one CPU core, this is fine until your world gets old or you need to scale up the number of players that shard can support. When that hardware limit is hit you are done because provisioning more processing threads won’t balance the load out.

My question goes out to the server admins running servers with 10+ players, how do you do it? How do you prevent performance issues given DST’s single threaded limitations?

Would love to find a solution for this issue as well. We end up cornered as multi threading isn't possible due to Lua native limitations.

One "solution" for the world age that I've seen is to limit the number of prefabs in the world. There are some mods that will "garbage collect" items that are dropped on the ground for too long - or if there are too many of them. Also saw people talking about considerably reducing the amount of trees in the world and increasing their loot rates instead. The less entities you have the more you free up your CPU.

Unfortunately that doesn't help at all when it comes to the number of players connected to the server. I also experienced considerable lag when 8+ players are connected. The one thing I know that could influence is if the tick_rate setting was tweaked up. But I have experienced lag with it set to 15 (IMO the minimal playable setting), which is pretty low. So no clues on what else to do there.

image.thumb.png.04c2257ee68851d671775082fc48a6ec.png

Archived