Dupe prioity idea.

I started a new base. In the past I would just let the dupes get the basics built then let them tidy up a built while I have 1 dupe working on research. Dig out a little then tidy up and so on.

I lay out an area for storage and set the priority to build containers at 4. With the jobs done in job order. Build research supply dig etc. They would start sweeping up. After that is done they would add more storage. This lets me know everything is done and I need to expand some more.

Why don't I just use the priority numbers to get this build over that 1. I let them work while thinking on build layout. I take my time and don't give 100's of jobs to do all at once. I layout something and let them work on it. You don't need 10 projects going. How fast they get the builds done tells me if I need another dupe or can I just maintain with what I have.

The only time I use the priority number is to tell them I need this bridge built now because the dupe duped himself and got stuck on the other side or down the hole.

So I'm sitting here in the jobs upgrade and trying to get some clean up done. I have a groundskeeper gopher scientist architect miner.

My gopher is hogging up all the research. My scientist is left with nothing to do but dig. My groundskeeper is building and my architect is running around like a chicken with his head cut off. No I don't know what the others are doing. I am just trying to force my gopher off the research but he keeps going back.

I had to go through and micromanage the job tasking who can do what. After spending 10 minutes and a few cycles on that.
I set my groundskeeper and tried with my gohper setting the only job to tidy.

The dupe just sat there idle. I tried setting sweep jobs canceling them. Making sure containers weren't full and allowed resources.
Still nothing. I don't have any mop jobs available but guessing that is for tidy jobs. I got a new dupe with no job tilte and set to tidy. He sits there taunting and staring at me.

Here's my idea.

1. Bring back the sweep job. Did the sweep job get updated when the tidy got implemented? Check to see if tidy refers to sweep command. If it is supposed to.

2. Set dupe specific priorities to +10. Even if you set something to priority 1. They will still do it before working on other jobs.

A groundskeeper will say. That's my job. I need to get that done. When the dupe looks for jobs he will go straight there. Then after that's done will start looking for random jobs.

3. Remove groundskeeper from supply jobs and remove gopher from sweep jobs. Gophers are suppliers and groundskeepers are cleaners. Why do this. The gopher will stay around the base keeping things supplied or supplying to build jobs and the gophers will run resources to containers. I set a few containers near a build project before I get started. Set to the resources needed for the job at 2-5000KG. This cuts travel time down for having to run back for materials.

4. If you like the 5 priority system better. Give them a +5 to build jobs for the architect and they will act like it's a 6

You can have the * thing which I understood the concept of if but I don't think it was working the way it was supposed to. I had dupes doing *2 over top of a 5 job.

I think it was still supposed to act as 2 but be ignored on the job title list and any dupe needs to get it done.

HOWEVER I still like the 1-9. It gives more flexibility. I don't use it for getting things built. I use it for other jobs. Emergency bridges or ladders to 9. Massage tables and med bays to 8. Keeping the toilets at 7. Normal building digging etc to 5 or 6. Sometimes you have to tell them to work certain things in certain order. Cooking at 5 but sometimes 6 if I need to build up supplies. A far off algae terrarium at 4. If you have the time but I don't need you taking all day just to fill it up. Planning down to 1 till I see how it's going to look. 

I've seen a few players constantly wondering why they don't have any one harvesting, making food or supplying this item(before job update). Well. Stop trying to build 10 projects at the same time and setting those builds to 9. Take a step back and let them do their job. You can't have everything now. When the build is done then you can start planning out another.

Sometimes I lower priority on containers so the use from those 1st. I saw in another thread using the rimworld priority idea. I'm not a fan of it but I like how they treat the any open storage area as where I can move to but keep the highest priority stocked.

Archived