cycle of life and othe ideas

Why not termites? They could spawn like bees, but in savannas and have huge nests, and you can attack it and get termite eggs, which you can use to make new nests, or eat them.

Well I'm certainly not arguing the fact that you can survive off of ants or termites, as you can (as many survival shows have shown me). I guess I'm just thinking that if you had a choice to add something to the game maybe adding something as small as ants or termites wouldn't be the way to go, on account of them being so small. I mean the bees aren't exactly to scale either. Rather I felt that since there are so many animals that could be added that they would have the higher priority, for example, squirrels, chipmunks, or turtles (to name a few of those that were recently mentioned by other forum members, but have been mentioned before).Again, I'm not against the idea of eating ants/terminites, I'm just trying to balance them against everything else that could be added.

just to point out i think the opposite of what you think while rabbits shouldn't come out again while you are around once you have gone they should pop back out again and not stop unless you dig up the warren/hole

Well originally I suggested this because after you killed a rabbit that spawned from a rabbit hole a new rabbit would spawn there less than a day later. There was a time I could just run across a rabbit area and have a killing spree. The Devs toned this down when they added in the "scared rabbits" behavior (when you kill one rabbit on screen the others run). Anyway my reasoning for suggesting the cooldown was that after you kill the rabbit there should be a certain amount of time before a new rabbit comes to live there. That, and there are usually so many rabbit holes this really shouldn't be an issue, unless like me, you went to town on them.

and rabbits should make more holes to the point they are more hated than the spider web creep purely cos thats what they do breed and dig warrens and eat then breed some more

So you want rabbits to make rabbit holes to the point where they're more annoying than web creep? Your argument is an odd one, but you're entitled to it. :p

So you want rabbits to make rabbit holes to the point where they're more annoying than web creep? Your argument is an odd one, but you're entitled to it.

ok maybe its a bit over the top but in a land that hates you how does a bunny attack?

by taking land that you may want to use

i guess i'm playing the game as me vs the environment instead of me in environment which is how i think devs meant us to play it

ok maybe its a bit over the top but in a land that hates you how does a bunny attack?

Well I guess the problem I have is that for me digging up a rabbit warren should be an act of desperation on the player's part, rather than a tactic to reclaim land from said rabbits. As the act of digging up a rabbit hole affords the player access to the rabbit that has otherwise alluded him. If you wanted rabbits to become more troublesome I would rather suggest having them eat crops growing in farm plots, attacking the player's food supply.

i guess i'm playing the game as me vs the environment instead of me in environment which is how i think devs meant us to play it

Well just keep in mind that commonly not everything in a PvE is "out to get you". I think rabbits and birds fall into this category, as do fish and beefalo to some degree. After all we already have lots to be worried about without every animal trying to grief you. :)

This is perhaps a grim way to look at things, but if there is a cycle of life things should die of natural causes, right? Maybe there should be dead versions of the neutral animals of the game, with which to interact with (for bad meat, shaving in the case of beefalo).Though, these things couldn't last forever (for the sake of system resources and just how the cycle actually works). So there could perhaps be scavenger type enemies, vultures perhaps, that feast on corpses. And when they're done, those corpses are now bones (possible crafting material?). And also for the sake of system resources, bones-only corpses should eventually disappear (this doesn't need any in-game explanation or whatever) over time.

Well, the rabbits could eat your crops?

Edit: and mobius suggested this before me.

This is perhaps a grim way to look at things, but if there is a cycle of life things should die of natural causes, right? Maybe there should be dead versions of the neutral animals of the game, with which to interact with (for bad meat, shaving in the case of beefalo).

This could be possible. Also if animals were killed/eaten, maybe their corpses could remain for a few days. This was suggested in another thread where corpses of dead animals caused a slow sanity loss when you were too close to them. Also there was talk of predators helping maintain population control, as right now nothing directly hunts beefalo or tallbirds, not to mention rabbits or birds. I think it would be interesting if you set a trap to catch rabbits and left a caught rabbit in there for too long... only to come back and find the trap broken and a dead/eaten rabbit there instead.

So there could perhaps be scavenger type enemies, vultures perhaps, that feast on corpses. And when they're done, those corpses are now bones (possible crafting material?). And also for the sake of system resources, bones-only corpses should eventually disappear (this doesn't need any in-game explanation or whatever) over time.

Yup, scavengers have been suggested in the past too, and yes, having corpses fade after a few days was also mention as no one wants to litter the word with corpses. Well, not at the expense of gameplay, at least. Also bones were mentioned as a crafting resource along with small/large fur pelts.

Well, the rabbits could eat your crops?

Yes, I've always supported that being implemented. I mean, walls should stop them from doing that if you've gone to the trouble of building them. And then they could also implement the scarecrow.

Incidentally the scarecrow idea is an opportunity to play on your sanity.

Speaking of sanity, I think that when you're insane you should be able to talk to your meat effigy(s), so when you examine it your character will say "so how are you?" Or something like that.

Incidentally the scarecrow idea is an opportunity to play on your sanity.

True. And oddly enough a forum member who examine the game's code confirmed the word scarecrow was in the game's logic. The Dev's though haven't said a word on it though. Players on the other hand have made several suggestions for scarecrows, of which I prefer the more generic kind. You craft it from a straw hat, pumpkin, grass, and sticks and it protects an area around it by frightening all rabbits or birds that enter it (i.e. just like how submerged swamp tentacles work). It would last until winter, during which time it would break and eventually need to be replaced.On the topic of rabbits eating your crops, the general idea process suggested by players was that birds should start by trying to eat seeds you had just planted, but stop doing so after it grew into a seedling. But then rabbits would go after the crop during every stage afterwards.

Speaking of sanity, I think that when you're insane you should be able to talk to your meat effigy(s), so when you examine it your character will say "so how are you?" Or something like that.

Now that would be interesting. In fact, it would be funny if your character randomly talked to items/objects in the game rather than examining them (while insane). :)