[Suggestion] Stairs and conveyors

Watch any duplicant go up or down a single square, they slow down immensely, practically having to throw their bodies up and down those single "steps", so I suggest adding a stair tile that allows duplicants to continue their running speed while going up inclines.

and while I'm at it, I also thought about some kind of conveyor belt, which automatically moves duplicants, items, and perhaps liquids in the direction of its motion, but I'm not sure what would happen to buildings on top of it... perhaps it won't be considered ground to build them on, but that almost defeats the purpose...

I like the idea of stairs.  I know that if I were to build a space base on a place with gravity, I would certainly include stairs. 

There has been much discussion about conveyors and elevators.  Though dedicated conveyor belt  and elevator objects would be convenient, they can already be implemented with a ton of metal and automation that can move objects on the ground.  Brothgar has a good video where he explores this possibility.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfr54GqCM5M

For those of you who do not want to watch the video, you use mechanized airlocks to force stuff on the ground to move left, right, or up.  For obvious reasons, you do not need to these to move stuff down, as stuff falls if you move it over a ledge.  This is obscenely expensive to move things any real distance. 

It would be nice to have a cheaper and quieter alternative though.

On 1/3/2018 at 4:38 AM, Zarquan said:

For those of you who do not want to watch the video, you use mechanized airlocks to force stuff on the ground to move left, right, or up.  For obvious reasons, you do not need to these to move stuff down, as stuff falls if you move it over a ledge.  This is obscenely expensive to move things any real distance.

my problem with that is that my system is a little buggy and whenever I use those automated airlocks to move things around, it ALWAYS deletes things, like the first time I made one of his air pressure systems to store some gas I was trying to deal with, which worked wonderfully at first, storing kg after kg into the area I set up for it, reaching ~13 kg per square tile when I went away to work on other things in the map, but when I came back, it went down to 30g per square tile IN the area it was supposed to be moving the gas TO

Archived