Vacuum should vaporize liquids

8 hours ago, Slyke said:

Obviously the gas would be of the same mass as its liquid form, but colder.

I think you got it the other way round, the gas that gets vaporized are the hotter particles. And then the liquid cools until it turns into a solid. If the gas gets colder then where does the heat go? And gas has more energy than liquids so that alone doesn't make any sense.

Also if a vacuum instantly vaporizes liquids then explain how comets exist. They are almost all solid ice.

1 hour ago, AlexRou said:

think you got it the other way round, the gas that gets vaporized are the hotter particles.

A gas that goes through a pressure change actually cools when it expands. This is how refrigerators work (and why balloons are cold when you let the air out).

10 minutes ago, Slyke said:

A gas that goes through a pressure change actually cools when it expands. This is how refrigerators work (and why balloons are cold when you let the air out).

Sorry about that, forgot that step. Basically the particles that turns into gas has the most energy and then absorb more energy from the liquid which allowed it to turn into gas and thus cools the liquid, but then it's a vacuum so the gas expands and reduces energy and thus temperature.

However there is another step, when that gas then increases pressure, it heats up cancelling out what cooling it did. (which is exactly how refrigerators works, cool one part and heat up another part)

So if this were to be implemented in the game, it cannot be done without the heating up when pressure increases bit. Else we get free cooling. And that bit would mean significantly changing the physics/simulation of the game. So I have to ask ... why? What benefit would this have to justify the amount of dev time?

Well, it only has to apply that effect when liquid is in contact with vacuum. It could also be designed in such a way that the heat generated by the pumps is more than the cooling you get. The cooling doesn't even need to be a thing if it just turns into a gas too.

Just thought it would add more dynamic to the game. You could make cooling systems in such a manner as well.

I'm a software developer too, I don't think it's that much invested time (if vacuum on liquid, then replace vacuum with gas of liquid at -2% of current temperature). I mean obviously I'm not expecting it in the next update, but on their story board or in their backlog or something as a planned feature would be good.

27 minutes ago, Slyke said:

if it just turns into a gas too.

Even if it just turns into gas, there would still be a significant change cuz what about the condensation/freezing system? If it's the same temp as the liquid then that system will just turn it into a liquid again. I really don't see a way out of this without affecting multiple systems and significant dev time.

28 minutes ago, Slyke said:

You could make cooling systems in such a manner as well.

I don't think that could justify such a significant change to core mechanics. (thinking of changing the fluid + pipe sims, cuz if you just change the fluid sims then there could be cooling exploits with the pipes)

I feel like such a thing can be done with just more heat transfer buildings and few would notice the difference.

Archived