Is it possible to get 60fps with Intel Graphics 620?

I have an issue with getting high frame rates on DST. I don't always play games on my laptop, but I enjoy playing DST. I usually range from 35fps to 60fps when I am playing with or without mods on. I understand that I am using on board graphics, however I get decent frame rates on other games. All my settings have been turned down to low and I even turned on netbook mode which capped my fps at 30, but it was consistent. Any ideas on getting 60fps or am I out of luck?

Here are my system specs:

Razer Blade Stealth (Mid 2017)

13.3” IPS touch QHD (3200 x 1800 px)

Intel Kaby Lake i7-7500U CPU, dual-core 2.7 GHz (3.5Ghz boost)

Intel Graphics 620

16 GB LPDDR3 1866Mhz 

512GB M.2 PCIe

I actually have been testing the resolutions and double checked with Intel on their website. The cause of the issue was the resolution at 3200x1800. I dropped my resolution below that and was able to get 60fps+ with no issues very easily. I am now running my laptop at 1920x1080 and the game has been running very smooth since. I'm not completely sure if it was the game's fault for the resolution or my razer laptop, but I found this pretty interesting none the less.

I just did a quick check and those models of razer laptops don't even have a low end dedicated GPU? For around $1400 USD that is absolutely pathetic for a company that associates itself with gaming.

When you want to achieve 60 fps are you hosting the world or is someone else hosting? That CPU doesn't look like it could achieve 60 FPS stably at 3200x1800 when you are hosting. Maybe you could if someone else is hosting the world but I don't think you will ever have a good stable framerate at 3200x1800. Even moderately sized bases should give you performance issues. Does the machine have an external GPU you can connect to when you play games?

In the future when you upgrade your pc I would suggest looking for the following for around $1500. Razer did a pathetic job optimizing your pc's gaming capabilities for $1400.

+Minimally a low end GPU. Major performance improvements and ability to run a lot more games, especially older ones. There is no reason to not have a dedicated GPU in any machine today.

+lower resolution display. That CPU will struggle running a decent framerate at 3200x1800. The resolution primarily adds to the cost of the machine and razer didn't give you the hardware needed to run it. In the future though with stronger hardware probably less of an issue but still worth noting for sub $1500 builds.

+RAM amount looks fine and should serve you well for around 5 years. Around 3 years you will probably feel the RAM limitation although the CPU/Screen looks like the biggest bottlekneck of the machine.

+The SSD adds a lot to the cost of the machine and a mechanical hard drive would be cheaper but SSD's are really nice and keep falling in price while improving in every aspect. In 5 years I doubt mechanical hard drives will be available in most consumer computers. Maybe in regions they could be popular where their currency is weak compared to the US dollar.

+Maybe a better CPU due to the savings you get from a lower resolution screen. The CPU looks fairly weak even for 1920x1080.

From your posted specs it looks like your CPU is the major bottlekneck in your system. You might be able to play comfortably at 1280x720 or 1920x1080 with small textures enabled but might encounter a drop in framerate around large bases. I don't think you could ever host a good world on that machine.

Edit: If you add an external GPU (is the razer core compatible?) then you should be able to play comfortably at 3200x1800. The CPU would still be the bottlekneck so I don't think an external GPU would allow you to host a world comfortably. It would probably allow you to play at max settings at your native resolution....but the biggest tradeoff being portability when you play. If you have to play DST at max settings on that pc and are willing to shell out extra for one than maybe an external GPU would be worth it. I personally wouldn't do this but its your call to make.

Archived