Enemy targeting seems a little strange

TheBlob

I've played many rounds of Forge and one thing is persistently popping up- I'll be playing range and I'll click on an enemy to target attacking them but sometimes my character will continue to attack the previous target or a completely random one for 2-3 shots. And sometimes when I hit F instead of clicking, my targets will switch seemingly at random, instead of my character locking onto the nearest one and following it like I'm used to seeing in normal DST.

It doesn't seem to be affected by proximity or aggro. It can be pretty unhelpful when it causes me to just... randomly break an enemy out of stun/sleep after promising not to... or aggro the boss that Wes was trying to kite away from the group :K

Holding F to attack the closest enemy would not be helpful in Forge at all. It attempts to target the same enemy you did last attack if possible. (IT would seem special ability hits do not always mark your enemy as the one you hit last)

When your target is lost or dead, your character indeed seems to pick new target at random, which I believe is attacking the target with lowest HP around, may be wrong about that one of course. But it definitively does not attack the closest target mid round, but it does at the start of the wave.

8 hours ago, RancorSnp said:

Holding F to attack the closest enemy would not be helpful in Forge at all. It attempts to target the same enemy you did last attack if possible. (IT would seem special ability hits do not always mark your enemy as the one you hit last)

When your target is lost or dead, your character indeed seems to pick new target at random, which I believe is attacking the target with lowest HP around, may be wrong about that one of course. But it definitively does not attack the closest target mid round, but it does at the start of the wave.

From what I've noticed holding/pressing F after your previous target is dead depends on both the low health and also whatever is closest to you. It seems to have a range so if your last hit target is out of that range, you choose a new one. I personally almost exclusively use F, with the only real times I don't use it is when all the mobs are petrified and we as a team haven't chosen a target yet, or to hit the banners from Crocommanders/Crocoviles. 

11 hours ago, TheBlob said:

It doesn't seem to be affected by proximity or aggro. It can be pretty unhelpful when it causes me to just... randomly break an enemy out of stun/sleep after promising not to... or aggro the boss that Wes was trying to kite away from the group :K

It definitely is affected by proximity but I think it's very touchy. You kinda have to watch your positioning with it a lot, which I can totally see why it appears as unreliable. 

Archived