steam geyser - how to avoid water mid-air suspension?

11 minutes ago, eggsvbacon said:

Hi there,

Trying to figure out how to avoid/prevent steam geyser water suspension, water stops naturally flowing downward and instead floats as a blob.

Solutions?

Thanks

Do you mean as it protrudes over an edge like a dangling bit of slime? Or like how it hovers over airflow tiles? Do you perhaps have a screenshot?

You can drag images right into your post from your screenshot folder.

15 minutes ago, Whispershade said:

Do you mean as it protrudes over an edge like a dangling bit of slime? Or like how it hovers over airflow tiles? Do you perhaps have a screenshot?

You can drag images right into your post from your screenshot folder.

Right, so I started a new game, I don't have an example right now. However, I mean, for example, with the smaller geyser dome, if you have a pump, eventually the water is depleted, the water from the geyster just dangles over the edge and never comes down back to the pool, it's irritating and makes no sense.

10 minutes ago, eggsvbacon said:

Right, so I started a new game, I don't have an example right now. However, I mean, for example, with the smaller geyser dome, if you have a pump, eventually the water is depleted, the water from the geyster just dangles over the edge and never comes down back to the pool, it's irritating and makes no sense.

liquid visuals can be deeply misleading. They can appear to have lots of mass when it is only just grams, and can appear to not be moving when they are. If you look really closely while it is dangling over the edge you might seem some tiny droplets that are continuing the rest of the way to the ground. It is also worth mousing over and looking at the mass of the tile. Unless there is some foreign substances obviously blocking the way like another liquid or a very narrow space blocked by multiple gasses, kilograms of liquid will definitely move down appropriately. Even if it doesn't visually look like it.

1 minute ago, Whispershade said:

liquid visuals can be deeply misleading. They can appear to have lots of mass when it is only just grams, and can appear to not be moving when they are. If you look really closely while it is dangling over the edge you might seem some tiny droplets that are continuing the rest of the way to the ground. It is also worth mousing over and looking at the mass of the tile. Unless there is some foreign substances obviously blocking the way like another liquid or a very narrow space blocked by multiple gasses, kilograms of liquid will definitely move down appropriately. Even if it doesn't visually look like it.

I noticed dripping behavior is much more visible with the thermal vision, but, even so, there does seem to be peculiar behavior out of steam geysers after some time, they seemingly just stop producing water.

Do they run out? I mean, they still do their building pressure thing, I tried fiddling around in debug when I noticed this behavior, when I changed the pressure in the room the liquid started dropping again, the geyster never claimed the room was over pressurized and it continued to do the standard sprite animations prior to changing the gas pressure, if I recall, I set it lower.

What do you think?

Thanks

1 minute ago, eggsvbacon said:

Do they run out? I mean, they still do their building pressure thing, I tried fiddling around in debug when I noticed this behavior, when I changed the pressure in the room the liquid started dropping again, the geyster never claimed the room was over pressurized and it continued to do the standard sprite animations prior to changing the gas pressure, if I recall, I set it lower.

They don't run out. But they will stop producing if they're submerged or the gas pressure is over 5kg. If they're thermally sealed and you're not running something through to cool it down it is also possible that the steam never gets condensed, builds up and stoppers the geyser. I've never had a problem with a geyser that I setup, though.20171021231540_1.thumb.jpg.1f1c5cc38da75f677be4b035142b31ef.jpg

Here I position the pump to stay in the water so it can't overheat from steam. I constantly run polluted water produced by my based through a radiator to help condense steam. In this particular example, I used some of the water that had drained out to the side before I could get to it, to top off the box before closing it off. That way when I drained it, there wouldn't be any gasses that interfere with steam production. It is only just about losing enough water to start erupting again.

Ah yes, generally I don't get far enough to entomb them in structures, but the condensing bit makes sense, that sounds like something that would happen especially if you're generally leaving the small geyser biome mostly untouched, save a few tiles and a pump positioning. (Especially if you're fiddling around in debug.) You'd think nature would take care of itself, but no. netSd69.gif

I only just figured out that you can drip water on machinery which simplified my frustration induced brain infarctions. I'm only stroking out in rage about 2/3rds of the time. (Extreme exaggeration, mostly.) netSd69.gif

Aside from the odd moments when dupes decided to kill themselves to decision paralysis as they hopped back and forth in Co2 not sure which bit of oxygen they want to make their way to, most of my frustrations have been induced by my own inept plans.

I think I'm doing alright, though, I have a goodly amount of hours in and only five dupes can name me their killer.

Archived