Does type of internet prevent hosting a server?

Hey all :) 

I have an excellent gaming laptop (Acer Predator) I'd like to use for my DST servers. I used Tonio's guide and things seem to be set up correctly (I've done this before successfully via a paid hosting service, so I'm not a total noob lol), but I can't get them to start.  I'm wondering if my internet has something to do with it?

I live outside of town where it's hard to get good internet. I have two services--one is a basic high-speed internet (using a router) but it's spotty and most of the time I can't even play DST while using it.  My faster internet is through my cellular service--I tether my phone to my laptop for 4GLTE.   Would the server laptop need to be connected to the internet that uses the router for the servers to work correctly? :confused:  I'm thinking I would need the router for ports?  

I'm gonna be totally bummed if I can't set one up. LOL. I have done the ones hosted through Klei, but using my cellular internet the ping is ??? so no one ever finds me!

Thanks for your time!! :D

~josey~ (sillygolucky) 

DSTservers.png

DST servers should work on pretty much any internet. It might just lag for players if your internet is slow.
I assume your servers just aren't connecting to eachother? Because from your screenshot it looks like they started up well and good, but didn't connect to eachother because the master port is different. It's always helpful to post your server logs and shard+server configs as well, and describe what's not working, so people can actually look for what's wrong exactly.
I'll just go ahead and assume that your servers aren't connecting to eachother and I'd just assume that the reason for that is that the master_server_port isn't configured properly. The master port has to be the same on both server shards, so they can communicate on that port.
If you just can't connect to your server because it's running on the same machine as you are playing, there's a thread about that here on the forums: https://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/50001-solutions-hostclient-in-same-pc/

Archived