Advanced way to clean/avoid bacterias

As we already have the ore washer to clean the bacteria on solid, i find it's very hard to clean the bacteria in air and liquid. I had some idea like ultraviolet ray and disinfectant solution. Which is very commonly used in our daily life.

ultraviolet ray —— have two components, one is an container, can kill the bacteria on the items inside it ( and the colonist will remove the cleaned items and send them to normal box, so this box only accepts items with bacteria on it). and the other one is a light , can clean the air and the surface (blocks) directly illuminated by it. both cost electricity and technology.

disinfectant solution —— can be made by adding some water and minerals, will kill the bacteria on the liquid or solid around it. the common way to use it is pour it into infested water and wait for it to work. produce by a machine.

Also, i have an idea about protection coat. like we can see in some zombie movies. a suit covers full body of the user and have internal oxygen supply to protect him/her from bacteria in infested or toxic area. 

1 hour ago, IceRain said:

Also, i have an idea about protection coat. like we can see in some zombie movies. a suit covers full body of the user and have internal oxygen supply to protect him/her from bacteria in infested or toxic area. 

Oil update includes atmo suits that do just this. Any germ spread through contact transfers to the suit and not the dupe.

@Whispershade

What qualifies as high air pressure, what is the specific number, I've seen this applied to my dupes entering a room with as little as 34 grams or w/e on a tile.

I know oxygen producing things stop when it reaches full pressure, so I would assume that is the safe maximum whatever that number is, thanks.

Sorry to derail.

I do like the idea of a water disinfectant, perhaps it would take several cycles to drop in, of course we have other ways of doing this, but it isn't entirely out of bounds, people do this with bleach and a number of other things. (Not recommended at home, or otherwise, imo, leave it to water tablets etc.)

Basically, chlorine gas and bleach stone exist, why not try chlorinating the water? It would have to be reliant on that sparse resource bleach stone or something and would need to take multiple cycles for balance, but it could be a way before you're able to get far enough in research...

I'm sure there's a number of reasons the use case above isn't very likely, but I'm too tired to think of others.

10 hours ago, Whispershade said:

Well, it is a persistent affect for a period of time, seem to happen above 2kg. I saw it happen in as little as 2.3kg.

Yes, true, it makes it hard to figure out what specific pressure of which room they stepped into, especially since the atmosphere shifts when doors open. Would be nice, perhaps someone can comb the code to find out what pressure maximum is before popping ear drums. (Very sad status.)

Back to topic: I stand by the idea for water chlorination tablets/chlorination systems for killing bacteria in standing water over multiple cycles for early game, it is difficult to achieve conditions needed to kill water bacteria when early on in game. Filtration or extreme heat condensation would still be necessary to make it palatable water.

1 hour ago, eggsvbacon said:

Back to topic: I stand by the idea for water chlorination tablets/chlorination systems for killing bacteria in standing water over multiple cycles for early game, it is difficult to achieve conditions needed to kill water bacteria when early on in game. Filtration or extreme heat condensation would still be necessary to make it palatable water.

One issue is that there is really no pressing need to treat water for germs. The only way I ever see it being a liability is in using the micromusher into midgame when your original water supplies potentially begin to dwindle. But they are completely unnecessarily and easily avoidable through the moving from rations -> muckroot -> raw meallice.

There is also the option of chilling polluted water below zero which will result in gradual declines in food poisoning populations or you can spike the water with slimelung through sinks / washbasins / biodistillers. The slimelung colonies annihilate the food poisoning colonies and then slimelung dies off in liquid.

Archived