[HOWTO] Debug Oxygen Not Included on Mac OS and PC

I know there's plenty of guide for Windows PC out there but I can't seem to find one for Mac OS. So here's the guide that includes both! If you have trouble getting it to work, let me know in the comments and I'll try to help!

Windows PC

1. Open up Notepad, do not type anything inside the file. (Or just download the file I provided in the link below.)
  2. Go to File > Save As... then enter debug_enable as the file name and select Text Document as file type.
  3. Navigate to your game folder.
    Steam
    Go to your Steam library and right-click on Oxygen Not Included, select Properties. A window should pop up, select the Local Files tab then Browse Local Files
    Direct download
    Right-click on Oxygen Not Included shortcut on your desktop, select Properties. From the pop up window, select Open File Location from the Shortcut tab (this should be the default tab).
  4. Double-click on OxygenNotIncluded_Data and save the text file in that folder.

oni_pc-copy.png

Mac OS

1. Download the text file below. *
  2. Navigate to your game folder.
    Steam
    Go to your Steam library and right-click on Oxygen Not Included, select Properties. A window should pop up, select the Local Files tab then Browse Local Files > Right-click on Oxygen Not Included > Show Package Contents
    Direct download
    Go to Finder > Applications > Right-click on Oxygen Not Included > Show Package Contents
  3. Copy the text file, paste it in the Contents folder.

oni_mac-copy.png

*If you'd rather make your own text file, you can do so with TextEdit application that comes with your Mac OS. I uploaded the file that I made from Notepad on a PC since setting up TextEdit is another guide itself plus it didn't work for me and this did. 

Download text file.

How to debug Oxygen Not Included

Now once you've done all that, boot up the game and start a new game. Hit Backspace on your keyboard (Delete for Mac) and you're game is now debug! You'll know see the debug menu on the top right section of your screen. 

To access the debug sub-menu, simply hit the Esc > Option > Controls. But just for the sake of easy access, I'll list it down here for you. Also, Mac user, you might have to remap the key to make it work for you since Mac keyboard is a little different. I personally only use instant build to test different stuff out and I've read that some of the debug commands crashes the game so consider yourself warned :p

5 hours ago, AlexRou said:

Did you try this on mac? http://support.smqueue.com/support/solutions/articles/31751-how-to-create-a-plain-text-file-on-a-mac-computer-for-bulk-uploads

Btw on windows you don't even need notepad, just right click -> new -> text document -> name it debug_enable, if it shows .txt leave it there if it doesn't don't add it.

Yep I did, didn't work xD And creating a text document crashed my game so I tried it with Notepad and that was what worked for me. 

2 hours ago, woooglet said:

Yep I did, didn't work xD And creating a text document crashed my game so I tried it with Notepad and that was what worked for me. 

On mac did you try playing with different encodings? Like there should be a ASCII one.

And it's super weird that would crash on windows, there should be no difference between the two. Are you sure you made a text file and not a rich text file?

Archived