DS or DST for Solo sandboxing + any fun challenges and mods?

Hi. Planning to return to the game after a hiatus, but unsure whether I should go back to DS or DST. I play alone, because I like to play on my own time/rules. I've read about some differences/recommendations for solo play, but they were not very conclusive.

1. I'd like to ask which version of the game is more fun at this moment? Which has more content?

2. Are mods like the improved campfires and smarter crockpots working for both?

3. Any mods you'd personally recommend for either version?

4. Any way to generate worlds that contain at least one of everything to experience the whole content?

5. Are DST worlds bigger than DS worlds? AFAIR making a big world in DS just made the bioms bigger, not more plentiful or full which made it a bad choice. How does it work nowadays?

6. Is there new content coming to DST still?

7. Is there a list of key things missing from DST compared to DS and DS compared to DST?

8. If you recommend DST, what about the renewable resources? If you cannot move to another world (can you?), what of Madrakes or Gears or whatnot?

9. In DST, is there a risk my solo game will get destroyed by some server fart? Can it just be played offline like normal DS saving locally?

10. I've also seen mentions of lags with bigger bases. Is that an issue for single player too? :o

11. What do I do if I'm an idiot who leads Bearger into the Beefalo herd and he reks them all?

Cheers, thanks!

2 hours ago, Ellilea said:

1. I'd like to ask which version of the game is more fun at this moment? Which has more content?

DST has more content. DS + ROG + SW is probably more content.

2. Are mods like the improved campfires and smarter crockpots working for both?

If they have DS and DST version, yes, but you can't use the DS version in DST or the DST version in DS, usually.

3. Any mods you'd personally recommend for either version?

Pickle It, Waiter 101, Koalefanta Proboscidea.

4. Any way to generate worlds that contain at least one of everything to experience the whole content?

One of everything what ? Because it's usually the case.

6. Is there new content coming to DST still?

Probably but not soon.

7. Is there a list of key things missing from DST compared to DS and DS compared to DST?

Try see in the wiki.

8. If you recommend DST, what about the renewable resources? If you cannot move to another world (can you?), what of Madrakes or Gears or whatnot?

Gears : tumbleweed. Mandrake can be in klaus sack if i'm not wrong, but not sure.

9. In DST, is there a risk my solo game will get destroyed by some server fart? Can it just be played offline like normal DS saving locally?

Yes, you can play offline. But if you play offline, you can't change it later. You can also set a password, or allows only friends to join, or member of a steam group.

10. I've also seen mentions of lags with bigger bases. Is that an issue for single player too? :o

Depend of your computer.

11. What do I do if I'm an idiot who leads Bearger into the Beefalo herd and he reks them all?

You can live without them, or see if there are other herds. If you want, you can use console to spawn them again.

By one of everything I mean one of each set piece and biome types and such. I have tried to use two mods for it, but they don't seem to be working (I'm not even sure checking a Giant world generates anything different than Medium to be honest).

The mods I found are:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=932946524
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=850492537

I've also included all the Set Piece mods that are supposed to guarantee a Set Piece to appear, but they don't seem to be appearing :(

Basically I've decided to play in the vanilla DS, it's just better suited for solo play I guess, and I'd like to generate as full and complete map as possible to be able to find and experience all the fun little things the game has to offer. One of each set piece, all the fun biome things like the mad bees or whatnot. I'm not sure how to make that happen.

The Koalefant mod looks really nice, included it.

Ok. Did you configured these mods ? You probably have to adjust settings to your taste.

Also, you probably can't have all set piece (because they are a lot, some are nearly the same, and because they need free spot to spawn and sometime game can't find these free spot). But you can have a world with enough set piece to have a lot to discover.

Archived