Request: Better gas mixing

I find that a layer of high CO2 concentration develops in rooms of height 3 or taller, which occasionally makes excursions to height 2 and causes a working dupe to run off and catch their breath. It feels intensely non-intuitive that this happens, especially in colonies where I've made a point of building an HVAC system early-on. (If adherence to real life diffusion isn't a concern, note that the layer forms in spaces where duplicants run through frequently, which ought to stir the air all by itself. ;P )

If changing the algorithm isn't in the cards for a while, how about giving us the option to build a floor fan to cause gases within a certain radius to form a well-mixed solution?

Three or four tiles height of usual rooms don't give much options for "gas mixing" how it happens in the ONI physics, it's better to let it happen in larger volume and preferably have dupes in the middle where there is mostly clean air. Holes in floors, one tile gap between floors and ladders connecting floors, or floors made straight out of gas permeable or mesh tiles usually do the trick, and reduce number of machines you need to deal with unwanted gases.

I think every tile can only hold one type of gas at a time.  To accomplish what you're suggesting would require starting over from scratch.  Although I do know what you mean.

Archived