Modder's Code? (etiquette question for modders)

Is copy and pasting code considered rude? I realize this may come as a wired question, but I (a very new modder who's been staying up trying to learn mod concepts offline) want to know before I start using other's code.

So i'm modding mostly for DST, rather than DS, but i would say it depend mostly of three things

- how much do you copy paste

- how specific the code you are copying is

- how much of the code of the mod you are doing is personal

If you do most of the job, if you don't copy too much of a code, and if the code you copy isn't too specific, it's ok for me, because it's also how you learn to code, by seeing how someone does something.

But for example, if someone does a mod adding a new weapon that make the enemy groggy and make the user lost hunger on use, and you use this code to make the same kind of weapon, but for your character, this is problematic because what is making his mod unique is now lost.

Copying should never end to make the original mod less attractive or useless. Copying should never be the main part of your mod. And you should bring enough of something personal so your mod, even with part of another mod, feel unique enough so people can want to use both of them at the same time, for example.

Of course, this is just my point of view about it, and others people could of course disagree and have others points of view.

Not really most modders don't really mind or care if you copy and paste common functions or abilities like custom sanity drain. Its when you copy and paste names, items, characters and pretty much what their main focus of their mod, thats when you have problems. Along with your mod being incompatible due to the same name like the wand tutorial mod here, I had problems since another mod used the same prefab name and the game got confused which one to use and got rid of my weapon. But I learned and continued to make my unique character and that problem didn't pop up again. As long as your making the mod not that similar to the one your copying you'll be fine. Lastly a side note the majority of modders aren't getting paid to make these mods which is my reason I don't mind if someone copy's code from my mod(and a few of them did but I don't mind).

Archived