Lag issues, more RAM or better CPU?

Hello,

I play at  a friend's dedicated server. The game is endless and we hit 1000+ days. As you guess lags started happen frequently. If there are 1-2 players it is still acceptable but on 4+ players the game  really become unplayable. I saw some servers can handle more of this. I wonder what can handle these lag issiues? Is it because of Ram / lack of memory or Cpu's core can't handle it? I had these issues on my previous pre-configured  servers, too. What do you suggest to do?

From experience I can tell you that the DST servers don't use much RAM but instead use a lot of CPU power. Sadly the DST servers don't know nor really care if you have 2 cores or 20, and will use one CPU core for Master and one for the Caves.

Now, in regards of the lag you should tell your friends to start picking up rot and what stuff they found laying on the ground, reduce the beefalo heard numbers and if you live close to a desert then pick the tumbleweeds as they require CPU to calculate their path and spinning.

RAM isn't much issue. CPU is the most important here.

If you running it on a VPS, you will experience that it only use 1 core instead of multicore. Suggest you to get a dedicate server instead.
Also not recommend running in your own computer while you playing games.

Archived