Help? Deerclops + 1st Winter + Penguins

I'm on my first winter and deerclops spawned. I looked everywhere on the Internet for guides but all I found is stuff for when you have bee mines, tooth traps (I've been very unlucky with hound drops, no teeth so far with two times hounds:wilson_cry:) or kiting. I would kite but I don't have any sanity regenerating items. I do have drying racks but I don't have the time to dry meats because deerclops spawned already.

Are there any ways to defeat deerclops without special items? I've had to stop playing Don't Starve just to know what to do and I would love to get back into it.

Also, just a side question, I didn't think before setting up my base, its next to the ocean and penguins keep spawning. I really don't want to move as it's an almost perfect base; beefalo for days, bunnies everywhere, just about every biome around and lots of everything. Is there a way to prevent penguins from coming without killing them?

Also if this helps I only have a football helmet, a spear and a log suit as defensive/offensive gear

If your swamp isnt too far away a good strat is to lead him in there and let the tentacles do the job for you. Or a well sized beefalo herd does the trick as well. If you are ok with missing out on the loot you can also just aoutrun him and give it another go the next winter.

Good luck :)

Edit: And pengulls appear all around the coast. I tried to set up walls to prevent them from spawning. Had semi luck when the walls where a certain distanse away. Sadly I dont have that world anymore and dont remember the exact distanse.

You could experiment and see if you can make it work.

3 hours ago, cptCalavera said:

If your swamp isnt too far away a good strat is to lead him in there and let the tentacles do the job for you. Or a well sized beefalo herd does the trick as well. If you are ok with missing out on the loot you can also just aoutrun him and give it another go the next winter.

Good luck :)

Edit: And pengulls appear all around the coast. I tried to set up walls to prevent them from spawning. Had semi luck when the walls where a certain distanse away. Sadly I dont have that world anymore and dont remember the exact distanse.

You could experiment and see if you can make it work.

Ok thank you very much I'll try to lead him to the swamp (I can't afford to lose any beefalo)

9 hours ago, Mencken said:

Deerklops is an excellent deforestation machine, have him clear cut.   After 2-3 days of fighting spiders, treeguards, etc. he goes down and you get to harvest a ton of silk and wood.

thx a lot and it just so happens I have two HUGE forests next to my base so thx

You regen sanity by giving a pig monster meat and telling it to chop trees.

1. Give it monster meat

2. Hit a tree with an axe, he'll start chopping it.

3. Stand next to him until dusk. He'll continue to chop trees and you'll get 25 sanity per minute.

This literally solves 100% of your sanity problems both above surface and in the caves.

Archived