Running multiple dedicated servers simultaneously from same PC

Is there a way to simultaneously run multiple dedicated servers on one pc?  If so, how do I do this?

1.  Do I just create a separate set of duplicate files, change the port numbers and create a separate batch file?

2.  Do I need to create a token from a separate steam account that owns a copy of DST?  Or can I just use the same token on both servers?

Hi @I Heart Popcorn, welcome to the forums!

Yes, you can host several separate servers at the same time. Clone your cluster folder, change the ports in the second cluster (cluster.ini, Master\server.ini and Caves\server.ini, the easiest way is to add 10 to every port number - maybe also change the cluster name, and any other settings you want), and create a new batch file. You need a different token, but you can generate it with the same account. And that's pretty much it.

34 minutes ago, alainmcd said:

Hi @I Heart Popcorn, welcome to the forums!

Yes, you can host several separate servers at the same time. Clone your cluster folder, change the ports in the second cluster (cluster.ini, Master\server.ini and Caves\server.ini, the easiest way is to add 10 to every port number - maybe also change the cluster name, and any other settings you want), and create a new batch file. You need a different token, but you can generate it with the same account. And that's pretty much it.

Thanks for the timely response--you rock!

Another question--I have an i7 - 3770 with 24 mgb of RAM, and an internet connection with about 200 mbps down and 75 up at all times.  Will an extra server be too much of a load if both servers have 4-6 players on them?  Each server will have about 3-4 mods on it.

Each cluster is running two shards: the overworld and the caves. So you'll have 4 shards running. Since there is no multithreading, a quadcore processor will have no trouble handling the 4 shards simultaneously. The simulation isn't generally all that CPU-intensive, unless there are many complex entities working at the same time - brains are usually the most demanding, so having A LOT of pigs or bees or whatever active at the same time will have an impact. However, it won't affect other shards. Of course, all subject to whatever other stuff you're doing on your PC.

On bandwidth, I remember reading somewhere the usage was around 10kbps/user. On memory, I think every shard is about 1GB, maybe less?

You shouldn't have any trouble.

Archived