Comparing Airlocks

I was curious what people thought about the manual vs the mechanized airlocks. I have been playing around for a little while, but honestly I don't really use the mechanized airlocks because if you power them then that's more drain on your circuits, and if you don't then they say they just revert to being the same as manual airlocks. I was wondering if I was missing some benefit to using the mechanized over the manual, either powered or unpowered. Also, feel free to share your airlock design for keeping gasses and liquids in or out, I'm sure many of us are always looking for ways to improve that we may not have thought of on our own.

I like my passive airlocks. It's pretty much like the p or s-trap on a kitchen sink. :D

As to the manual vs mechanized airlocks, the mechanized airlocks don't use power except when they're opening/closing. See the images below, click on the airlock and under the Energy tab the bold(ed?) airlock is the one selected and it's using 0 W (yes it's unpaused). The second is when it's open. The benefit is that they open/close faster than the manual airlocks, and I would guess that they let less gas escape, haven't really tested that though.

20170406162249_1.jpg

20170406163119_1.jpg

20170406164347_1.jpg

4 minutes ago, ChrisWhit said:

the mechanized airlocks don't use power except when they're opening/closing. 

But don't they still show up on the circuit's the overall wattage, possibly leading to circuits breaking? It just doesn't seem to be worth it yet since I already have to have three or four circuits around my base to handle what I seem to need. 

11 minutes ago, MousesDonkey said:

But don't they still show up on the circuit's the overall wattage, possibly leading to circuits breaking? It just doesn't seem to be worth it yet since I already have to have three or four circuits around my base to handle what I seem to need. 

They do.  But your wires don't break unless you are running a rather stressed network or all of your mechanized doors somehow all open and closed at the same time to tip the load over the limit.  This seems rather unlikely.  If you are that careful, build a separate network only for doors.

I generally only use mechanised - never bother with the manual ones as they're so slow. The amount of time you save (especially if you have multiple built in a line, say 3 or 4) is huge.

I've seen a lot of people using liquid air locks, however I'm not organised enough to make sure my dupes don't steal the water for some random reason :D

5 hours ago, MousesDonkey said:

I've found that if it's something that switches on/off quickly that overloads your circuitry, the circuit may simply enter the "strain" state, rather than overload.  I have a cicuit that was at over 1000W on a regular wire, with a water pump that went had an on/off stutter to an electrolyzer.  I saw* the "strain" status at least once before switching around my circuits, but never incurred damage to any wires.  Maybe I was just lucky, and I've never had a powered door as the overload.  As well some of the circuit draw was the batteries, and im not sure how the impact of them on the cicuit was

They are faster, even when not connected. The main power goes to the interface on the door. Just don't connect them and you benitfit from faster doors. I only use them now, unless it's to seal off a place, e.g a door that's always locked, for example to a hatch farm where I only need to go in to gather coal now and then.

Cheers. Hope this helps

I believe that unpowered airlocks should be as slow as a manual airlock, and the fact that it isn't at the moment is considered a bug. If I was the devs, I'd make them even slower than a manual airlock ... but perhaps that's just the evil in me.

On 12.04.2017 at 0:49 AM, Last Templar said:

Airlocks will only consume energy when used, witch is hardly an issue. on the other side you can use them without powering them and they are still faster then a manual airlock!

Beware of that.

On 07.04.2017 at 2:28 AM, Lifegrow said:

I've seen a lot of people using liquid air locks, however I'm not organised enough to make sure my dupes don't steal the water for some random reason 

Have you tried gas airlock?

fdWWvXn.png

But, it does not allow to create vacuum, and if you a going to use hydrogen in one of the rooms, then there will be no heat insulation (sure, unless you will have low density).

Archived