Let's talk keyboard shortcuts

Here's a topic tu discuss keyboard shortcuts in the game, for all you busy space-underground-colonies' executives or large screen and slow mouse owners. Whether you'd want to report a lack or just give a tip to fellow players, I guess having a centralized post for it could come in handy (like hotkeys are!).
A good readable way to go could be to identify keys that are to be bonded in a different colour/ font, like this : M - mop. Up to you.

Here are some stuff that I can already think of :

• ENTER is the key for both enable/disable and turn on/off for switches. (A disabled switch is obviously off, but it takes more time to disable than to turn off). It can't be configured.
  • What we spend most of our time asking our dupes to build are (more or less) tiles and ladders. Might be good to have shortcuts for the two latter. I can imagine that the submenu form doesn't help much (first you press 1, then click on the tile button), but it might be solved using shift or cntrl (first, press 1, then, shift+2), or by simply linking a key directly to the actions.
  • Another high frequency action is changing priorities. It's so important and the corresponding buttons are so small and so close to the border of the screen, however! It could be set to P* + 1...9, for example. (* : or whatever key you set)
  • A little repair hotkey would be handy with destructive dupes.
  • An issue already addressed by tiredDragon (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/74638-keyboard-shortcuts-should-put-back-tools/) is that pressing a shortcut for a tool when using it should remove it. I do agree.
  • A (not that) small issue I had : when first running the game and willing to configure my key bindings, I managed to change my MouseLeft to none, and to then leave the menu and not being able to get back in it (after messing around, my actual left click was set to MouseRight, which makes you quit the customize keys menu)... The issue persisted after reinstalling, and I had to find the keybindings.json by myself to be able to play the game. It already got addressed (http://forums.kleientertainment.com/topic/75847-control-settings-no-left-mouse/), but maybe something could be done to counter stupid people like me...

I definitely agree with having the Tile, Ladder, and Priority hotkeys needing to be better.  I would really like to see Priority changed to Q in particular.  Right now P is a really awkward button to press because my right hand is on the mouse, while my left hand is on WASD, so Q is a lot more ergonomic for me and kind of makes sense in that Q stands for "Queue".  Just my two cents.

Archived