I think it would be good to have a tutorial mode for the more advanced/late-game items.

An example of this is:

1. when choosing to start a new world, an option for tutorial mode comes up, from here we choose an item in the game. Eg bio distiller.
  2. It would then create the world with no duplicates and just a place with the bio distiller connected up, this would show us how to connect these items correctly.

I think this would help a lot of new people to the game, showing them how to link up machines that require either power, water input/output or gas input/output.

Anybody in the community feel free to add ideas of your own. :)

I felt like I needed a tutorial from day-one.  I feel like all basic stuff should be explained fairly well.  What do I need to build, where do I need to build it, to have a small, sustainable settlement.  I probably don't need to have a tutorial showing me how to build a second outhouse, but it might be nice to have the mechanics explained.  Also, I tried to build a power generator early on, and couldn't figure out how to assign folks to it to make them run in the wheel. It was frustrating. Did you have the same experience of frustration, or was I just missing something?

On 4/3/2017 at 10:19 PM, FranksRevenge said:

I think this would help a lot of new people to the game, showing them how to link up machines that require either power, water input/output or gas input/output.

Anybody in the community feel free to add ideas of your own. :)

But the game already does that... Not in the way you described, but the graphics associated to every machine is quite explanatory of everything.

Everything is written down on every single machine, and besides understanding that a liquid/gas pipe needs "the output thingie"  (geez, what's the word in English? I don't even know that in my own language), the basic of everything is "green in - white out".

For which there is a (kinda) detailed image poppin up every single time you build anything related to this mechanic.

@FranksRevenge, it's very possible that we'll end up with a tutorial of sorts.  Being alpha, of course, the more complicated things aren't fleshed out 100% yet, but it will happen.  I, myself, look for more visual signs that a rig is indeed hooked up correctly before you have to tear it all down and start over.  It will happen. :)

Oh, and welcome to the forums!

Archived